Monday, March 4, 2019

Cold Night Supper



Brr, it's cold here tonight! 

A perfect time to follow M. F. K. Fisher's suggestion in Serve It Forth for a hot baked potato and tomato soup.

On a cold day such things as hot baked potatoes, all sprinkled over with fresh ground pepper and sweet butter, or creamy tomato soup with a faint smell of cinnamon to it...these are the things that flow first into our remembrance on cold days.

But why not have both the baked potato and tomato soup? It sounded good to us tonight, the Creamy Tomato Soup by Progresso. I splashed a little dry sherry in it.

RH pronounced, "That was a good supper!"


 

After this cold spell it's predicted that we'll have some spring temperatures here in Nashville, and then the Mikasa Black Forest plates that we use in the winter will be retired until next year.

But tonight they and the simple comforting hot food for our supper was just right.

I only wished I could share a simple hot meal tonight with those families hurt, and many devastated, by the tornadoes. 

Watching the stunned faces on this evening's television news broke my heart. Lives lost, houses destroyed, a wide swath of destruction. 

Where do you start in the face of such tragedy?

Let's keep them in our hearts  and prayers and help any way we can. I know there will be people there delivering hot meals to all they can. 

A grilled cheese sandwich and hot tomato soup might be just right for this cold spell they're going through too. It won't replace what they've lost but I know the people already on their way to help will do what they can to comfort them with hot food and basic necessities.

But it will be a long road back for many people. 

Let's remember that.
 
 

14 comments:

  1. I love how your kindness comes through.
    What is on the baked potato? Looks like scallions? The red? The yellow?
    I'm impressed that you can eat A baked potato. If I have THEM, there may be 3 or 4. One of my favorite foods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nan, my lighting wasn't very good but it was just butter, grated cheese and bacon with scallions. And some sour cream. And they were very large potatoes! We eat the peel too so that with the tomato soup was actually very filling. I added a can of consome to two cans of the tomato soup and had leftover soup for lunch today, so warming on these cold days.

      Delete
  2. I definitely feel for those families - ...and just so many families experiencing displacement or pain, lack of comfort - .. Your post with tomato soup and baked potato would definitely give anyone comfort. love the plates you use. I think baked potato would be delicious tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandy, it's the simple things we crave sometimes, don't you think? Takes us back to our childhood, I guess. I'm craving oatmeal right now. But chocolate cookies would be pretty tasty too!

      Delete
    2. i really vividly remember those grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup as a kid. But I also remember the ham hock with lima beans and that would make me run and hide ...and oh...the tuna casseroles every Friday...because we couldn't eat meat. wow memories flooding back. I had a delicious chocolate cookie the other day - we stopped somewhere to pick up a pizza and they had cookies they were selling at the counter...these were amazing - big chocolate chunk tollhouse type cookies..

      Delete
  3. That looks like a delicious cold night comfort meal! I'm thinking spring though (guess I'm tired of these never-ending cold days and nights) - I bought asparagus at the grocery store yesterday!

    I couldn't watch the news yesterday...as a Highly Sensitive Person, photos and live stories of devastation affect me too deeply. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two pounds of asparagus for our supper tonight, Melanie! A favorite part of spring for us!

      Delete
  4. just the words... cold night supper. they make me think of Lee Bailey.
    and two of my favorites. baked potato (minus the bacon of course!) and tomato soup!
    I recently doctored a can of tomato soup with cheese salsa and it was delicious! our favorite restaurant calls it tomato bisque. heated it was simply filling and good.
    I couldn't believe the destruction of those tornadoes. now that the path of them is changing it would be good to have a warning system like we have. it saves lives.
    thank you for this beautiful post and the reminders to us all that our families and loved ones are the most important... not the brick and mortar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tammy, you are so right. Families are what matter the most, houses can be rebuilt. But oh the sadness to lose a house and be forced to start over.

      I started to say that this is a good time of year for comfort food but then all twelve months are good ones. So we should indulge in healthy comfort when we can, right?

      Delete
  5. I love these plates...so pretty! We have had some frigid temps here the last few days and will be having a warm-up at the end of the week. Thankfully, this time we had no one involved in the tornadoes. My in-laws live in Wetumpka, which was devastated a few weeks ago. Tornadoes are so horrible...nothing you can do to get ready for them. Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you when I saw the news, Benita, and hoped so much that your family was safe. That is just so many losses for one small area. But I am seeing ways of helping appear online and of course Samaritan's Purse is always a good way to help.

      Delete
  6. Whether its tornadoes in America, wildfires in Canada or earthquakes in Greece, a natural catastrophe is always a tragic occurrence. My heart goes out to all who have been affected by the devastation.

    Your cold night supper looks and sounds scrumptious, Dewena, and spiking the soup with a splash of dry sherry was, I am sure, a delicious delight!

    Greetings from a very cold Canadian winter night!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow I missed coming back to your comment, Poppy. I hope 🇨🇦 has warmed up by now!

      Delete
  7. What a good idea for a soul-and-body-warming dinner! I want to have more company and more hot soup this coming winter. Thank you, Dewena.

    ReplyDelete