Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Shrove Tuesday Pancakes


I love this picture from a 1928 McCall's magazine! 

To me it looks like the mother's on the phone with her mother asking for her recipe for pancakes while her son wants her to hurry up with breakfast.

He is her son, isn't he? With the whitewall haircut? Surely that's not supposed to be her husband!

RH and I are ready to have pancakes anytime,  but on Shrove Tuesday seems to be the day for it, even if we're Baptists and Shrove Tuesday, Ash Wednesday and Lent were not part of our childhoods.




After years of reading Jan Karon's Mitford novels, I'm a literary Episcopalian who long ago found an old Book of Common Prayer that I love to read. 

While I don't truly observe the Lenten season, just knowing it follows this special day helps me remember to prepare my heart for Easter.  

So it was pancakes for breakfast this morning!

RH likes his with hot maple syrup.


And we both love to use this little brown jug by Hall for the maple syrup.


We found it years ago at a restaurant supply place that was down by the river in Nashville. Many's the time we went there rummaging through stacks of china with our first two children, who were totally bored!

The little brown jug goes with china from The Clock restaurant that we found there, filling in with a few pieces from eBay in later years.



All but one look like this plate that we have five of and two small platters, but we have one larger plate that RH claims that is ever so slightly different. 




 I don't believe we've ever bought pancake mix, not when the real thing is so easy. I've used the recipe for buttermilk pancakes from this old A World of Breads for decades. 


It's so simple and calls for 5 eggs although I've been known to put in as many as 8 when we had our own hens at the old place.


That's 4 cups of flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoons baking soda, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 2 teaspoons sugar, mixed together well. Add 5 large eggs, 1 quart of buttermilk and 1/4 cup melted butter.

Remember, you stir waffle batter well but only incorporate ingredients in pancake batter. Pancake batter should be a little lumpy just like cornbread batter.


And whether you like hot maple syrup as RH does, or cold blackberry jam as I do, you have yourself one fine breakfast.

I've also been drinking one small glass of  organic cranberry juice each morning with no added juices or sugar and is it ever tart! 

I've been off bacon for five weeks now until that baked potato last night and a couple of strips to go with the pancakes this morning so no more of that for a while.

But it sure tasted wonderful!


Tonight it's going to be Vincent Price's recipe for green split pea soup, another tradition for Shrove Tuesday, I learned.

Time to go check on it and cut a fresh pineapple to soak some slices in Kirsch for an hour. That will be battered in leftover pancake batter and turned into tonight's dessert.

Stay tuned, please!

Did you have pancakes this morning?



10 comments:

  1. Your food photos are making me hungry! I'm not much of a pancake fan, but I have to admit, yours look delicious! And bacon is a must as a side for pancakes. I used to make pancakes for the boys often when they were growing up and like you, I never used a mix. The recipe I used is just like yours. I didn't know you were supposed to leave the batter a bit lumpy though! I will remember that the next time I make homemade pancakes.

    I don't observe the Lenten season either, but this year I am taking a writing and journaling e-course through and about Lent. It's a broad-based course that can apply to anyone; you don't have to be a certain religion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your writing course sounds interesting, Melanie. I hope you tell more about it on your blog!

      Delete
  2. I love those plates and your pancakes look delicious! I'm married to an Anglican so Father Tim has such a special place in my heart. We have several copies of the Book of Common Prayer because we use it when we are at the Anglican church. We alternate Sundays...Baptist and Anglican. We do observe Lent, even though I'm Baptist. We had to make decisions on what to give up for the season...it was tough! Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so interesting about your husband being Anglican, Benita. One of my favorite authors is Ronald Blythe, an Anglican priest from England. I feel such an affinity for what he writes about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my goodness. do you know what people call your kind of living?
    you Celebrate LIFE! you do! it's all the little things that matter.
    bless you dearest bean! I had a chest xray this afternoon. and also got the make and model of the truck that ran me over! (an old saying in our family if someone was sick) I think I can start healing now. wish I had some pancakes though. especially Anglican ones! XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please don't get sick like that again! So glad you're better now!

      Delete
  5. That pancake recipe sounds delicious, and seeing the photo of some with slices of bacon makes me hungry. I just bought some real maple syrup from Aldi's this morning, but was thinking of french toast, as that is easier for me being by myself.

    Have a lovely March ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Shrove Tuesday, pancake breakfast, along with the pineapple dessert designated for dinner are mouthwatering! Like R.H., I also prefer my pancakes drenched in hot, pure maple syrup, and if they're topped with blueberries or strawberries, then all the tastier! It's my crepes that I like spread with raspberry jam or a thick coating of Nutella!

    Thanks for sharing these pics of your practical pancake recipe!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you believe I've never made crepes, Poppy? But I live ordering them out for brunch.

      Delete