Thursday, February 28, 2019

February Goodbye



It's time to say goodbye to another month and to share this month's Kevin Dodds calendar page. I've enjoyed February's picture but after two months of horses, I'm ready for the unique homes Mr. Dodds does so beautifully. 

I'm more of a house lover instead of a horse lover. Our granddaughter Nora, on the other hand, is madly in love with horses. But then, aren't most little girls?

Speaking of granddaughters, here was my kitchen shelves decorated with our granddaughters' Valentines, and an old snapshot of my sweet mother in her kitchen.



The girls' Valentine to their PawPaw was a Star Wars, May the force be with you one! I should have put it here for a pic too.

Now the shelves are featuring an invitation to a very special birthday for one son and a beautiful picture another son took of Spaceship Earth at Epcot. 



I love changing around the kitchen shelves constantly.

RH just brought about an amazing change in our kitchen by taking care of a little project outside. He pruned back two huge hollies, one of which had totally blocked the smaller of the two kitchen windows.


We hated doing it because the birds love to nest in it and the bees love the flowers but it was driving me batty having a black hole at the end of my kitchen.

Here's a picture from Christmas showing the dark hole.



See what I mean? Sunshine at the large window and a few feet away a black hole. 

It has made such a difference! I know some people would have cut down the whole bush but I love having the cardinals nest in it and peek in the window at me. One red male pecks on the screen when it's past his dinnertime.





I'm mesmerized by having the sun shine on things in that end of the kitchen. I know this is a lot of kitchen pics but I took a ton of them and will try to do a kitchen post at the other blog soon so couldn't resist using some here.






Remember my beautiful pink amaryllis that was in the silver champagne bucket at my kitchen sink all through the holidays? I moved it and the beautiful grasses that grew up through the moss into our living room.


It will get moved outside when the night temperatures get up to at least 50 in spring. And now I'm searching for something else to put in the bucket by my sink.


Come the first week of March that pine cone pitcher and other winter things will be put away and tender spring green colors will come out. Winter lover that I am, I admit to being ready for that!

First we have another blast of winter heading our way--I should be ashamed of even calling it that when my blog friends from the north have really been having winter.

And I understand we have more rain heading our way after four days of glorious sunshine. 

More rain? Here's how high the pond got after our last week:


Very full and I was thankful we lived uphill not downhill from it.  And I was happy to stay inside and cocoon, which always includes cooking.

I had been craving real honest-to-goodness homemade rice pudding studded with raisins and made Ruth Reichl's rice pudding, recipe here.


But I used all the leftover egg whites to make a meringue for it after seeing this picture in an old rice pamphlet I've had a long time.


No cherries on top but it was delicious and I'm sure Ruth wouldn't mind I added the meringue. I'm sure she also wouldn't mind that I used a couple of tablespoons of Calvados brandy to macerate the raisins in overnight.


See that smile? That's the smile of a girl who would appreciate a little Calvados in the pudding, don't you think?

We turn the calendar page tomorrow and I'm almost giddy with the thought of it! 

Are you?







 

12 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try the rice pudding recipe! I can forgo the meringues though as I've never made them before and I don't know if I have the courage to even try! LOL I love this blog Dewena!! I don't blame you for cutting that shrub back. I would have been the one to cut the entire thing down so that I could have all that wonderful daylight in my kitchen! :-) Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it turns out great, Benita, pretty easy but watch out for the milk-rice mixture overflowing while cooking. I had a mess to clean up on the stove top!

      Delete
  2. The sunlight in your kitchen really opens it up! And I like the skillets across the back! Warm, cozy kitchen! The holly's will grow back but your husband can just cut them again! Good afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lottie! Thank you, I'm glad you like my kitchen! It is just the right size for me now.

      Delete
  3. What a glorious difference in your kitchen by cutting back that tree.

    I love seeing bits of your kitchen.

    What a nice pond to enjoy all year long. Hopefully you won't get too much more rain.

    Have a great weekend ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rainey, I still am exhilarated every time I go into the kitchen just to see the light on that end. I think that's why I haven't shown more of my kitchen since we moved as it was so difficult to get decent pictures with the "black hole" there. And yes, the pond, which isn't ours but our neighbors, is such a blessing! We have a better view of it than our neighbor does and he's so nice and told us to consider it ours, that we could even name it as he hasn't. Still trying to decide on what though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your kitchen! Thank you for sharing the photos with us. I don't blame you for having your hubby prune those trees. They were totally blocking your window! What a huge difference that made after he cut them. Rice pudding with plump, juicy raisins...one of my faves! I've actually never made it myself but it was one of my dad's favorite desserts and so my mom used to make it sometimes. I also love bread pudding, creme brulee, and flan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Melanie! I kept thinking I would post more pictures of my kitchen when I cleaned it from top to bottom. Ha! Finally realized that might never happen so it was better to share it as it was rather than never.

      Oh, I love bread pudding, creme brulee and flan too!

      Delete
  6. that pudding looks so good. That was a great move to trim that tree - your kitchen now looks so happy and you have a great view out your windows. Happy March to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sandy! The pudding was good, if I do say so myself!

      Happy March to you, too!

      Delete
  7. What a huge difference pruning those two hollies made in the amount of beautiful natural light that back wall now receives in your pretty kitchen! The pond, alone, looks so peaceful and welcoming, surrounded by all that gorgeous green.

    Your February send-off, sure is a sweet one, with your 'redo' of Ruth Reichl's rice pudding looks and sounds delicious! I'm sure she would approve. It's always interesting to put our own touches on things we already love, isn't it?

    Wishing you a marvelous and magical March!
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Poppy! Wish you were here in the kitchen with me; wouldn't we cook up a storm!

      Wishing you the best of this month too!

      Delete