Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Dessert First


Ever eat your dessert first?

We didn't do that but I'm writing about dessert first here as it's terribly hard to get excited about green split pea soup, even if the soup is one of our favorites and so yummy loaded with chopped onions, celery, carrots, garlic and potatoes.

What's underneath that whopping spoonful of fresh whipped and slightly sugared cream in the picture above?

That's my leftover pancake batter fried like sopapillas and inside is a slice of fresh pineapple, sugared lightly and macerated for an hour in Kirsch, then coated lightly with really good apricot jam and then dipped in the pancake batter.

And it is good enough to make you want to smack your momma, as a preacher friend of ours used to say.

I got the recipe for Pineapple Fritters from The Happy Table of Eugene Walter.


I found Eugene Walter by way of Pat Conroy who wrote fondly of the Alabama writer.

Eugene Walter was a southern writer of dazzling gifts. He possessed an uncanny ability to make the English language dance the flamenco across the page. He loved great humor, clowns, monkeys, food, and bourbon, in no particular order. He acted in Fellini movies, wrote screenplays, poems, cookbooks, translations, novels, and short stories of rare but complete genius.

I could always trust Pat Conroy's book recommendations and it is one of my sorrows that he left this earth much too soon to recommend more to me. 

I've only read Walter's cookbooks, three of them, but when I pull one out to use a favorite recipe again, once more I find myself reading great chunks of his book and wanting to try many more recipes.

And because of Eugene Walter I stopped shaking pepper that comes out of a can on my food--he called it dead dust--and only use freshly ground black pepper because he said that the volatile oils in freshly ground pepper was good for the digestion.  Whether that's true or not, I don't know, but the vintage pepper shakers in my kitchen still hold black dust only because RH prefers it.


So while the split pea soup and buttered rye bread was delicious last night, knowing that it was to be followed by Pineapple Fritters made with my leftover pancake batter was even better.

I even had it all for lunch today too because I had a very special guest join me--our firstborn son! While it is wonderful to have all four of our children together at one time, it is very special to sometimes have just one of them here.....

                              all to myself!

Never use the dead dust sold as ready-ground pepper. Don't bother. Freshly-ground black pepper has volatile oils which only last about an hour after grinding. This oil is an aid to digestion, a stimulant to appetite...
                                              Eugene Walter in Termite Hall



 
 

 
  

8 comments:

  1. I've never heard of him - (the dessert looks SO good). I am curious now to go google him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As deliciously sweet your Pineapple Fritters were, along with your velvety and savoury split pea soup, I know it was the company of your first born son who made this meal a real treat. So glad that you got to spend some quality time together, my friend. There's nothing cozier than mama's fabulous comfort food!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so very right, Poppy! Just being with him was my dessert, not that I didn't have a pineapple fritter too!

      Delete
  3. Your food photos are making me hungry! We love split pea soup here. And your dessert...we would devour that, too! I agree with that cook about the pepper...I don't even have a container of "black dust" here. Just a beautiful wooden pepper grinder that holds peppercorns. How wonderful that your firstborn came to visit you. Doesn't your heart just feel so full after a visit? xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know it does, Melanie! His visit made my day!

      Delete
  4. Have to say your dessert does look very tasty!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete