Friday, February 15, 2019

I dreamed I wore a pink raincoat.



I dreamed I wore my new pink Paris raincoat for a walk to the pond with the dogs. I let the day's drizzle fall gently on my face as I gave thanks for being blessed with an English rose complexion.

The rain did not frizz my pale blonde hair. 

Storm clouds gathered but held off until I leisurely strolled around water's edge.

Eventually I walked back to the house, whistling for the dogs, my mind full of plans for writing the final chapter in my latest book, the aroma of a perfectly roasted hen, redolent of rosemary and lemon and garlic coming from the kitchen.

I knew that a chilled crystal bowl of creamy potato salad waited in the refrigerator and a bottle of Maison Veuve Clicquot was on ice in the silver champagne bucket.
  
A late lunch for two at a beautifully laid table was waiting only for RH to wash his hands after pruning the  English roses in the garden.

Into your baskets, BreeBree and James Mason! 

Hurry, before Mama wakes up!


[my raincoat-wearing alter ego from Harper's Bazaar, February 1936]
 

 

9 comments:

  1. OH! you've never lost your touch! what a darling post. I lived every minute.
    but then you would know that I WOULD! mist and a light Spring rosy pink raincoat and potato salad and champagne on ice! all the necessaries for a perfect little dream! xo
    and shh... BreeBree and James Mason snoozed all through it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Tam! It makes me so happy that you enjoyed this little story. It was so much fun to write!

      Delete
  2. Reading thru once was just not enough! This post was so descriptive
    and enjoyable. Thank you.
    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that's a beautiful little dream, isn't it? I can smell the roasting chicken and my mouth is practically watering over the potato salad...now I have a craving! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm craving potato salad now too, Melanie! Maybe that's one part of the dream I will make a reality soon, that and the roasted chicken.

      Delete
  4. This is the kind of dream that one would like to be repeated! You know the kind I mean, right? Sometimes, it is a nightmare that goes into re-run mode, which is nerve-wracking and worrisome, not to mention a little scary.

    But this dream, this idyllic scene of scrumptious food and delicious drink, sweet pets, pretty flowers and a thoughtful, hard-working hubby, is, in fact, a reality for you, my dear friend!

    Looking forward to learning more about such self-fulfilling prophecies in pink, in your next novel, so sweet dreams, until then!

    Poppy
    P.S. I bet your hair isn't all that frizzy, either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poppy, you mentioned in an email something like that I already lived this dream and that did make me think that in the really important things I did. Thank you for making me count my blessings!

      Oddly enough I just remembered I have an old pink raincoat at the back of my closet that is timeworn. And it is reversible to a pink flower design! I've never had the nerve to wear the flower side out when going anywhere, but I just think I might do that this rainy spring. Roast chicken for tonight too but alas no potato salad or champagne!

      Delete
  5. great little story - (I didn't realize you had this blog ) ... I will be back....!

    ReplyDelete