Monday, January 20, 2020

Little Women Movies

I've not yet seen the new Little Women but if you have, please tell me what you thought about it. 

When I saw this picture of Jo and Laurie, I started thinking about the actors who played them in three previous movies.



 This must be how Norman Rockwell thought of them when commissioned to paint this full page color illustration for Women's Home Companion in the January 1938 issue to accompany Katharine Anthony's four-part biography of the author, Louisa May Alcott.

Honestly, not how I pictured either of them. What do you think? And what was Norman Rockwell thinking?

Not counting some television adaptations, I thought back to the three movies I've seen, from 1933, 1949, and 1994.

In 1933's version Katharine Hepburn played Jo and Douglass Montgomery played Laurie.  Despite the distinctive two s's in Douglass (is that how to type it-- two s's?), he left no lasting impression on me. 

Hepburn? She was okay, I guess. But Spring Byington as Marmee, never!

However, Edna May Oliver as Aunt March was inspired! Remember her in Pride and Prejudice as Lady Catherine? Same type and perfect. 

Then in 1949 came June Allyson as Jo and Peter Lawford as Laurie. I love June but think she belongs better in WW II movies as the soft voiced patient wife, not as Jo. Lawford wasn't bad as Laurie, but oh my goodness, handsome Rossano Brazzi as Professor Bhaer won my heart!

I liked Mary Astor as Marmee and Elizabeth Taylor was darling as Amy.  Whatever incredible genetics went to make up Taylor's eyes, I want some!

I admit to being partial to Winona Ryder as Jo in the 1994 production. I just think she played Jo right. And I thought Christian Bale was Laurie! Gabriel Byrne was good as the professor, Claire Danes as Beth, and Susan Sarandon as Marmee. Kirsten Dunst was perfect as spoiled Amy and Samantha Mathis, however unrealistically, turned into a lovely Amy grown up. Mary Wickles was a delightful Aunt March. 

The one character I've failed to mention is sister Meg. Why do we not really think of Meg? It's been years since I read Little Women and I can't remember whether the written character was as forgettable as the movie versions of Meg.

In the biography of Louisa May Alcott in the 1938 Woman's Home Companion, Katharine Anthony wrote a lot about Alcott's trip to Europe as paid companion to the invalid daughter of a wealthy family. On the trip she met a handsome Polish pianist named Ladislas Wisniewski. A lot is known of the time the two spent in Paris where he kissed her hand goodbye when she had to return to America, and it was assumed that the young man who was thirteen years her junior had proposed marriage.

Nothing is really known about why nothing ever came of it. 

Several American men thought themselves to be Laurie but Alcott herself later said that "Laurie was really Ladislas Wisniewski."

Have you seen the new Little Women movie? I'd love to know what you thought about it! 

Of all the Little Women movies you've seen, which did you like the best?

           Who was your favorite Jo? Laurie? etc.?





 

8 comments:

  1. I'm a big fan of Meg. She and Beth were my favorite characters. I think most people like Jo the best.
    I've heard the new movie does change things a bit, and I don't want to see it.
    And I loved Jean Parker as Beth in the 1933 movie. I have an abridged paperback of LW with photos of the sisters on the cover. I spent hours as a child just looking at them. Somehow that book got lost, and I missed it so much I paid the big bucks at Ebay just to have a copy. I'd never read it because it was abridged but oh, those pictures!
    Laurie wasn't a favorite of mine, but I do love the Professor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan, I've tried to think why Meg doesn't stand out for me because honestly, I'd have to identify more with her than any other sister. And isn't that what readers like to do, identify with a main character? I guess who I'd really like to have been like is Jo--but I'm far from it!

      I'll have to refresh my memory, via Google, on Jean Parker/Beth. I haven't watched that one in decades. Your paperback sounds lovely! I have two issues of the biography on her that I wrote about in the post, now want to get the other two, not only to finish reading it but also to see the rest of Norman Rockwell's paintings.

      I love the professor too!

      Delete
  2. Can you believe that I have not seen ANY of the Little Women movies? I did read the book a looong time ago; I was probably a teenager. I'd like to see the new movie just to refresh my memory. A couple of my friends have seen it and said they really liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melanie! You have treats in store for you if you ever see one of the old ones on television. I watch the one with Winona Ryder every December. And I hope to see the new one, even if simply to see Hollywood do a quality PG movie. And I'm wanting to read the book again, and Jo's Boys, which I loved.

      Delete
  3. I've seen both the June Allyson and Winona Ryder versions, and liked them both, as well as both actresses' portrayal of Jo. I have yet to see the current version, but from what I've read, it's doing well.

    Dewena, I think you ARE very much like Jo! Funny how we see ourselves differently from how others see us. In any case, I, too, am curious to discover if Hollywood was capable of putting together a decent 2020 take on this classic!

    Happy Wednesday!
    Poppy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like Jo, Poppy? Not I! I would never have my hair cut at a barber shop.

      Wish we could go see Little Women together!

      Delete
  4. I'm so so eager to see this new movie! I've only read the book--many times. For laughs, I remember an episode of 'Friends', where Joey has Rachel read one of his books (can't remember what), and she has Joey read Little Women. He loves the book but in the beginning he questions a boy names Laurie, and a girl named Jo. So insanely funny!!!

    Still, I love your views here and need to see some of the previous films!

    jJane❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, the Friends story is funny! I don't remember that episode but can just picture Joey doing that.

      Delete