Sunday, December 16, 2018

Christmas Tree Countdown, 6 & 7



Christmas trees # 6 & 7 came together in a set, Dept. 56 Spruce trees that our daughter bought for me in a December trip to Chicago. Since these came from the Miracle Mile and a glamorous daughter, I felt that they merited a little added glamour themselves.

I found the ruby colored tiny ornaments in a Smith & Hawkins catalogue, if I remember correctly, and found some tiny glass prisms to thread them through. When sunlight shines on them they sparkle even more than they do at night by an old Aladdin lamp that was a Christmas gift from friends many decades ago. 




The smaller spruce in the set has only one ornament, a gold bell engraved to Mom, a sweet little gift from our firstborn years ago. I hid little twinkle lights in the tree branches.




The corner where this little tree sits is another example of how much RH and I love old things. The lamp table is from Goodwill and once had a cotton lampshade. I tore off all the material except a few sprigs clinging here and there and now the metal frame of the lampshade brings it more up to date. 

The crewel-work pillow is also from GW as are the curtains, as are almost all of our curtains. I'm convinced that God always has curtains waiting for me at GW when I need them.



The red leather chair from a bank was an antique store find for $20 and reminds me of the weekend we visited our first granddaughter, only a few months old, or was it weeks? She was so tiny!

And on the wall is a mirror that RH surprised me with on Christmas morning one year, an old window that was just being thrown away with a stack of others by a friend. It is very heavy and has been packed carefully for two moves. And when our youngest son came for a weekend to help us settle in here at Home Hill, he helped RH hang it for me--moving it three times until I was satisfied!

I still think it needs to be lowered about 4 inches.