Saturday, December 15, 2018

Christmas Tree Countdown, 5



And old Dept. 56 Christmas tree sits on top of the china cabinet. I call it my June Carter Christmas tree.

One cold winter day many years ago I stopped at an antique store on the way to pick up the kids after school. 

I was in the back of the store looking at reduced Christmas items when a woman edged nearer and nearer me. I could see she was wearing a brown mink coat.

I turned to look at her and my stars it was June Carter herself! She flashed me a huge smile and said "Brr, it's cold but I just had to stop and get my antiquin' fix today!" 

We both laughed and she admired the glass beads I held in my hand. I wanted to tell her that she and her husband, Johnny Cash, bought their Christmas tree from us every year but here in Nashville we try to give the country music artists their privacy so we just chatted about the different items on the shelf until a woman who was with her came up and started talking.

I moved on away and that was all of my June Carter moment but the memory of her friendly personality has stayed with me through the years.