Thursday, May 12, 2022

A Decision and Richardson Wright

 This past week has been a happy week full of sweet family visits and good conversation, both in person and over phone and texts. 

I loved every minute of it and was left with temporary sadness when it ended. There's never enough pictures taken and what I do have I'll share soon on Dewena's Window where my granddaughters and their mom brought the party to me! 

This post here today is just a way of tackling feeling overwhelmed about where to start after an absence.

So I'll just post by saying that in celebrating what is my last year of the seventh decade I came to a decision. 

Decision: this is the year I will try to do more of what  makes me happy and less of a no-end-in-sight To Do List. Because, if not now, when?

Now, it's a given that some things on the daily to-do list have to be done or I won't be happy and neither will RH. Some things have to be done, period. But there can be a limit and I intend to recognize it. 

Yesterday I did only what I had to do and at 1:15 I hung up my homemaker apron and sat down to spend the entire afternoon with one of my favorite literary crushes, Richardson Wright. 

I have almost all of his few books on a special bookshelf but it had been ages since I treated myself to time in them. I luxuriated in Richardson Wright's life in the country with his wife and his Georgian New England home and his gardens where he lost 30 pounds  away from his desk as editor-in-chief of my favorite vintage magazine, House & Garden, for thirty-five incredible years, from 1914 to 1946.

I think I've had Richardson Wright in my labels here and at Dewena's Window more than any other author except for Gladys Taber. Today I'm not going to put a single sentence from the charming man as yesterday I read him just for myself, not as a blogger.

But here is his picture, once again. 

Richardson Wright, my literary crush....

 





 

6 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to you, Dewena! I can't wait to hear about your party.

    A very wise decision indeed in celebrating your 79th year around the sun. :-) Sometimes when I rest in the afternoon from all my homekeeping chores and running errands, I remind myself that people who work outside the home get several breaks during their work day, so why shouldn't I? It's no different - I just work inside my home instead of outside of it!

    I'm afraid I'm not familiar with Richardson Wright. I will have to look him up and learn more about him. Though knowing me, I might decide he sounds interesting and want to order one or two of his books ~ which I need like a hole in my head. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, so now you've got me on the hunt for his books! I love Gladys Tabor, too, so I'm pretty sure I will love Richardson Wright. One of the nicer things about aging, is not feeling guilty about doing what you want to do when you want to do them. Time is more precious and priorities have changed. I love your "Decision".

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's a strange spring day here today. strong winds as always but the clouds are competing with the sun and it results in an unsettled feeling. thanks to this post I'm going to fix myself a cooling fruit infused glass of iced water and get comfortable and read Richardson Wright! I'll begin with your 10 posts about him on the sidebar.
    thank you dear Dewena! XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy birthday to you and heck yeah - enjoy life more and duties less. I enjoyed reading this and about your crush on Richardson Wright.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've not heard of Richardson Wright, but if he is lumped together with Gladys Taber I will look him up. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dewena, I think that's the perfect wish you could make on your 79th birthday! Yes, there's always a never-ending 'to do' list, but the FIRST thing on that list, for everyone, should be: 'Only do what I can, today!', and the second, 'Do what makes me happy!', just as you said.

    I remember first reading about Richard Wright, right here. I hope you enjoyed your restful rendezvous with your literary crush!

    Poppy xx

    ReplyDelete