Friday, August 20, 2021

An Apology to Yellow

Dear Yellow,

I am ashamed to admit that I have tried to keep you out of my garden. What was I thinking? 

My heart has always belonged to purples, blues, and pinks. And white. 

And by late August those favorites lose their zing, enough so that I want to look at the garden with watercolor eyes.

 


And in doing so I realize that it is Yellow that saves the day.

I am grateful for the faithful purple and white perennials that reappear every year but this year the garden needed more and the resident gardeners had less to give of themselves so on Memorial Day RH went to the 50% off sale at the family nursery that is down the road from our previous dear Valley View and came back to Home Hill with pots of blooms, all but one of which had Yellow in them. And my, how Yellow livened up the garden!

You have been gorgeous in your petunia petals!

 


And in a calla lily fountain bursting up out of a bed of something or other.

Always we have lantana but always purple. A purple pot came home with RH and an orange but this year yellow came too.



 

And for my kitchen porch a large pot of velvety purple petunias and enough little pink flowers to perfume the night air. (Dianthus?)


And a plume of a grass that is nothing like the papyrus plant in the garden (?), with a pretty Yellow canna bulb in the middle.

 


You've been my own personal Yellow "orchid" to watch for as I work in the kitchen.

 


And last but not least, all summer long on the kitchen porch, Yellow roses given me by a daughter-in-law for my birthday.


 

So, I humbly apologize to you, Lovely Yellow! I'll never be a Yellow snob again. 

This final picture was taken by my son and sums up exactly what my purple garden needed. Yellow. Because it makes purples more purple!


 


 

12 comments:

  1. and it's just so Cheery! I'm glad you're embracing the Yellow!
    these are beautiful glimpses into your world there at Home Hill.
    thank you for sharing them! I love the thought of you doing dishes
    and looking out of the window over the sink... at the glorious "Orchid" in yellow! LOL.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tam! And I remain to be thankful for my large kitchen window every single day. It's my window to the world!

      Love you!

      Delete
  2. Your flowers are all so incredibly gorgeous! I'm afraid most of my pots of flowers and perennials are all beginning to get that end-of-summer sickly look...fading away.

    RH went to the garden center all by himself and picked out all those beautiful flowers without your help and guidance?! I am so impressed! Don't think my hubby would have any desire to pick out flowers if I wasn't with him - or even know where to start.

    Purple and yellow is a wonderful color combination for the garden. The colors are opposite each other on the color wheel, so they're complementary colors. :-)

    Have a wonderful weekend, my dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Melanie! Our garden perennials are certainly looking past their peak. Maybe because I've let up on deadheading as faithfully as I did earlier. It is just so hot and humid. For years RH and his brother had a garden center and landscape company so he does know how to pick out healthy plants and when he came home with all the yellows I at first wished I'd gone with him so I could pick out my favorite purples. It took a few days before I realized I really liked the yellows. Which goes to show what a rut I can get in!

      I hope your weekend is wonderful too, dear friend! I always enjoy seeing the excursions you and Brian take around your area. You have such interesting places to visit there!

      Delete
  3. What a lovely garden. I love the yellow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peggy, your comment got lost in a tab I forget to check on. I'm so sorry! Thank you so much for leaving your sweet comment!

      Delete
  4. Yes, yellow is definitely a delightful hue in an array of purple, pink and blue! Its cheery character so beautifully complements these deeper colours, making them appear brighter, bolder and more lively, doesn't it?

    Your flowers are all so pretty, Dewena, and I'm so glad you have such charming views from your kitchen window, to keep you company while doing dishes or meal prep!

    That pot of petunias is SO gorgeous!! It would make a brilliant painting or print, don't you think? I can see it in your adorable kitchen!

    Wishing you a wonderful afternoon,
    Poppy xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Poppy! And I hadn't thought about printing off the petunias for my kitchen, or for my bedroom art gallery maybe. I'll try and see how it turns out! A good Wednesday to you!

      Delete
  5. I love yellow! Loved this ode to it. I'm sure it will forgive you since it's such a cheerful color. 😁 Take care, Miss Dewena!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kim! I appreciate your forgiveness on behalf of Yellow! Best to you, Kim!

      Delete
  6. That little pink flower is not Dianthus, but I can't remember just what it is... I've planted them in different colors here and at church for a few years but never get to know them well enough to learn the name. I think I have some yellow under my fountain right now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to learn the name of it, Gretchen. Even with chilly nights here now a few of the flowers keep blooming. The scent is not as noticeable as it was during the summer. Let me know if you think of it, please!

      Delete