Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Upfront warning, a boring post.

 


There's probably nothing more boring than a late seasonal post, except for posting the same picture, with slightly different perspectives, over and over.

 

However,  forsythia in full bloom is anything but boring and I've wanted to take pictures each spring of this magnificent hedge of forsythia in our neighborhood that stretches across the back of a huge lot.

And so I did one day before Easter, asking RH to drive slowly past it as I snapped a shot a second.


Thankfully, the owners of this magnificent hedge of forsythia have never pruned it into any other shape than its own natural, gracefully arching lines.


 I'm playing catch up here, having fallen so far behind but not wanting to waste these pictures. Easter passed without me marking it on either of my blogs, an Easter that was very low key except for the powerful day that Easter always is, recorded with pictures or not, pandemic or not.

Our granddaughters did not miss out on the joys of a childhood Easter, though. This is one of many pictures I loved of their Easter of 2021, standing in front of their fireplace where their mother had decorated the mantel with vintage Easter things from her own childhood. And it makes me very happy that she included a Beatrix Potter picture that I embroidered when my own children were little.



 Here at Home Hill, my simple Easter decor was a jug of daffodils from the front yard, a few Beatrix Potter books, and one of Miss Potter's characters, sweet Little Black Bunny that I rescued from our daughter's yard sale after she was married. I also rescued Jemima Puddle Duck and Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle, whose nose was my focal point when I was in labor with my last two babies. 


 

Our daughter sent us this sweet Easter card that had to be added to our Easter table so you can tell that she's now much more sentimental than when she was selling off her childhood Beatrix Potter collection. She even has a new granddaughter herself now, with two more expected this year and may very well be wishing that she'd held onto the Potter characters. 


 

She'll have to wait to reclaim Little Black Bunny, though. He stands guard by my writing desk where his mischievous brown eyes challenge me to have fun every day, even though we're both becoming more vintage every day.



 

7 comments:

  1. As if a post from you could ever be boring! Au contraire!

    That hedge of forsythia is gorgeous. I've never seen anything like it. I see a bush here and there, but never a row of them like that.

    Your granddaughters are adorable. You're a great-grandma, too? I don't think I knew that!

    I had a Beatrix Potter bowl and cup that were given to me from my maternal grandma when my first son was born. I never did use them and they were always just kept packed away, so I sold them to a vintage shop years ago. I hope I don't hear you screaming! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should introduce you to my daughter, Melanie. She sold her Beatrix Potter china too! And yes I'm a great-great grandma! Of 3, so far!

      Delete
  2. your idea of boredom doesn't match my own I guess because I found this post delightful.
    I've never seen such an entire long hedge of yellow forsythia! it's gorgeous.
    and the two little Easter bunnies holding their basket... it's all beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love those two little Easter bunnies, Tam!

      Delete
  3. Good morning Sis๐Ÿ˜
    Beautiful Easter post! I remember the forsythias at our family home! Pretty sure I helped Dad plant those. Also brought to mind the pretty thrift that grew on the bank between our home and neighbors. From Google it’s also phlox ๐Ÿ˜Š!
    Great memories!
    With my daughter’s help, I also decorated for Easter! Brought out a couple of Boyds bear bunnies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I'm sure you were the one helping Dad plant anything outside! You were his helper and I was Mama's inside. I was 50 before I fell in love with gardening. I knew you would have my sweet niece's help decorating for any season; it must be so much more fun with her coming over to help with that!

      Delete
  4. Dewena, your posts could NEVER be boring, for everything you share with us, comes from your heart, which is sweet and soulful!

    That forsythia hedge, gleaming in the sunlight is such a boost of brightness and hope against the weary, post wintry landscape. I used to anticipate a bunch of forsythia bushes that lined our primary school playground and remember my fifth grade teacher sending us out to collect branches to put in recycled metal cans to decorate our classrooms for spring. I used to get lost in their cute, cheery foliage, when my eyes should have been on the dusty, chalky blackboard!

    Your adorable Easter bunnies are a breath of fresh spring air - look at those shiny, sweet smiles! I love how their parents have decorated for Easter. Like you, I had bought collections of Beatrix Potter tales for Liberty, when she was a toddler and we both enjoyed reading them, regardless of the time of year. Of course, I would go into character for each protagonist, which made story time feel more like front row seats at a matinee!

    Your jug of daffodils are so pretty and robust, and they mark the resurrection of our Lord in a lovely way. Thank you for sharing all your seasonal wonder with us!

    Poppy xoxo

    ReplyDelete