Friday, April 23, 2021

A horse in the yard and The Tennessee Waltz

 


Some people have gnomes in their front yard, but in Nashville we have horses. Real horses and statues of them. 

This old stone house sits high on a bluff overlooking the Cumberland River and RH and I chuckled at their garden art as we drove on the river road that I traveled twice a day from first grade through sixth while attending elementary school and on family outings to Shelby Park. 

Even as young as I was, I coveted the houses on this street. These old houses were so different from the small post-World War II bungalow I grew up in.

 

 

So many of them were made of the stone that even as a small child I loved. I went to a birthday party in one like this, although I'm not sure if it was this particular one. I was hooked then, in stone love. 

But even ones on this street that were made of wood made me feel something I couldn't at that age name--house envy.

 


 
Ones like the one above for the simple reason that they meandered, their footprint jutting out here, there, everywhere. It was what many years later I fell in love with at Valley View, our home for twenty-six years. A smaller version of these houses overlooking the Cumberland River that were added onto over the years. A room built here, a new wing jutting out behind as finances improved and needs arose from a growing family.
 

The house above and below made me want to tour it as well as the stone houses. Because...who has a garage like this?



Here's a house I got a poor picture of through the windshield. It's imposing, even has some stone, but for some reason it doesn't call my name. Maybe because it's too much of a McMansion? 



 Now we come to the house I always devoured with my eyes as my school bus rolled by it.

 

A log cabin. 

 


 
But not just any old log cabin. This log cabin belonged to the King of Country Music. 

Roy Acuff lived here with his wife for many decades, unto her death. My family was surrounded by country music stars, both in this neighborhood and when we moved to a small town nearby when I was in the eight grade. In that new house our across the street neighbors were Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs, bluegrass geniuses, with my best friend living in the house between them. Many people back in those days had country music stars for neighbors. 

But Roy Acuff,  well, as Hank Williams said, "For drawing power in the South, it was Roy Acuff, then God."


 Mr. Acuff may be remembered most for his recording of The Wabash Cannonball, but I love his recording of The Tennessee Waltz, perhaps even more than Patti Page's popular version.

When I was growing up, The Tennessee Waltz ended every dance, whether it was a formal or a hoedown. I'm going to try to embed Mr. Acuff's version of it from YouTube if I can. For those of you who don't care for country music in any form, just remember that these melodies came over with the British who settled in the Appalachian Mountains and brought their music with them. 

 https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?fr=yhs-Lkry-SF01&ei=UTF-8&hsimp=yhs-SF01&hspart=Lkry&param1=mT_bNn8bGpOss0nFZ1v6AthlPdRzexgUbrsUPJTC30AxknM6H1Ft9HEzUCbyHuQIBO-FjiWXDV-9XxjAOIegfqVP0JCsjWsuEiB9fCopj67V-a754MN5c85t9G48Q9YIMAaxaFUPRwq8WHlp6v294zOsuDofzlhRwV5BZIdafuL_tWCiDyijfcTayCwN6rQOsIRhTbCBEKwBmmhHzjdVxiQ8FvvlWD-BucgbJC5POYKMS8bmrK_WM4Hes9z_lfdr5XvnGnM_5hxmi8WyMjHy4DhEQ2OFkpn5Lo6VspdACFaN0X_Xaal1tuZeH8_qO0Rt1g%2C%2C&p=youtube+Roy+Acuff+Tennessee+waltz&type=ANYS_A1GXS_set_bfr_%2452462_000000%24#id=50&vid=e83a911882bf3d4c73d823945d78a173&action=view
 

I think there's a better way of attaching this but I've forgotten how. Hope this works because this is the song of my youth.

11 comments:

  1. I love house tours! Thank you for sharing with us. And how beautiful is that log cabin where Roy Acuff lived? A few days ago, Brian and I were in a nearby town, one we rarely go to. To get to the main part of town, we had to drive down a street that was lined with huge, beautiful older houses. I told Brian we need to go back to this town, maybe for a cup of tea in the coffee shop, and then walk up and down that street so I can take photos of houses.

    Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melanie, those are the neighborhoods I want to return to also. There are several neighborhoods in the town where one of our sons lives that he always drove me to and I wished we could have parked out front of so many houses there and just looked. And Nashville also has some neighborhoods like that, and when my daughter's sons were little, as soon as she took them into Mother's Day Out day at church, she and I would head straight for Franklin and spend as much time as we could and walk the streets and shop at little boutiques. Those were fun days so you and Brian make time for it!

      Delete
  2. it worked beautifully! my dad loved all those stars and their music.
    so it touches many places in my heart to read about them here.
    I love those houses! you had a wonderful childhood!
    I thought the horse was real. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We thought the horse was real too, Tam! I wonder if it was a statue of a famous Kentucky Derby winner? I love the mystery of it.

      You know, it's funny, I never liked country music when I was young, I liked the pop hits then. I think I was probably in my 40s before I fell in love with the old country music stars and their hits. And I like some of the newer country music too.

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed the homes you shared and that you passed so many times as a child, it can't get better than that. Similar to your experience, I have very vivid memories of some of the homes in the neighborhood I lived in as a child. The homes were prefab and nothing nearly as historic as yours. But I remember a house that we passed by on the highways as we went to the town where we would buy groceries. It has a Purple Martin birdhouse on a tall pole. I was mesmerized by it, and my sisters and I would "look" for it every time we passed. I was sure that the people inside were much better off than my family, and that their home was absolutely grand inside. Oh goodness, the imagination of a child!

    Its always great to see you post, Dewena. And this was lovely.❤️

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jane! And for writing about the Purple Martin birdhouse you and your sisters watched for! I think you have even more sisters than I do. I have three younger sisters. And our neighbor has a large Purple Martin house that he meticulously takes care of. They just returned to his house and we love watching them circle in the sky over us and the pond. We were so surprised when we moved here to find out they leave in July as that seems so early. We miss them so much when they leave.

      I agree, the imagination of a child is wonderful!

      Delete
  4. My dad used to sing this song often. When I grew up and had children of my own, I frequently included the song in my bedtime 'lullaby' concerts. Thank you for the wonderful stories of the houses and neighborhoods. Brought back great memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, JanL! I loved hearing your story and what a wonderful thing to have sung this to your own children at bedtime. I didn't really sing to my kids except when they were very small when it was Down in the Valley every night. I think they figured out quickly that I had a terrible singing voice and started asking for me to read books to them instead!

      Delete
  5. Thank you Dewena - this just took me back to my childhood, hearing this song on the radio, in the upstairs four-room apartment where I grew up. Saturday nights, listening to the Grand Ol' Opry, oh my goodness, you've just opened up a big can of memories!! We bathed in a big galvanized tub on the kitchen floor, washed our hair with Halo shampoo, and Mom had our shoes polished and shined for Sunday School in the morning. Bless you, dear lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment blessed my heart, Ruth. It means so much to me that it brought back sweet memories. I think that's what these old songs do, even when the words are sad. Bless you, Ruth, for leaving this!

      Delete
  6. Dewena, your childhood house tour was lovely to see and I have to agree with you that my favourite among all of them was the beautiful log cabin. Firstly, the unique architecture of the place, with its cozy, little canopy, and fortified logs, both emit such a feeling of protection. Secondly, the wooden, crisscross fence enclosing it but allowing views of the pretty, sprinkling of flowers is so welcoming, isn't it? And thirdly, those trees sprouting pink, spring blossoms make it all so picture perfect!

    Your link worked fine and I listened to Roy Acuff's version of The Tennessee Waltz, which I liked. But, my favourite version of this tune is a duet by Bonnie Raitt and Norah Jones; it makes me cry, every time, so much expression in the voices of these two talented ladies. Have a listen, here:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzDUi_L6MzA

    and tell me what you think.

    Hope you have a happily harmonious day, my friend.

    Poppy xoxo

    ReplyDelete