Saturday, January 19, 2019

Gladys's Nervous Day



In my own life, I find that if I have what I call a "nervous day" and dash frantically from a hasty breakfast to a quick supper, I haven't, in the end, accomplished a single thing worth while. Not a single thing. All I have done is get keyed up and tired out.
Gladys Taber
The Stillmeadow Road


Oh, my dear Gladys, you always seem to know just what I am going through myself!



Sometimes at the end of a nervous day I feel as if I haven't accomplished a thing even though I have cooked and eaten breakfast, showered and made the beds, started laundry, unloaded and loaded the dishwasher, picked up around the house, dusted, folded laundry, cooked supper and cleaned up the kitchen again. 

Between times I've also fielded phone calls and wished people would learn to text--yes, I've gone over to the dark side--and fed and brushed the dogs and let them outside and back in a dozen times, fed the birds, paid the bills, checked email, Facebook, blogs, Pinterest......


You know the story, it's called a day at home. 

Gladys was a busy woman, between writing novels and Stillmeadow books and articles for women's magazines, but even she had to actually take care of Stillmeadow  and concoct three meals a day. No wonder she sometimes had nervous days.

And she didn't have social media to deal with! I'm glad the poor dear didn't because she even rebelled when her phone service went from asking the village operator to connect her to someone, to having to use a rotary dial telephone.

She let her friends and children know that they would have to call her from then on. And she never did quite figure out how to operate the vacuum cleaner or washing machine.


I had one of Gladys's nervous days a few days into 2019. I desperately wanted to take down all the Christmas decor, waking up one morning and realizing I was over it. I needed to pack it all away more efficiently, eliminating more of it.

After that was done I looked at my Christmas-naked rooms and wondered if I really wanted them put back the way they had been before Christmas went up. The thought of it made me jittery. That led to some subtle changes. 



Then I went into my disheveled office/writing room where all the Christmas bins are stored in one corner. There were piles everywhere: personal and financial paperwork, months of blog post ideas, files of paperwork from books I'm writing, stacks of books I've read with little post-it notes sticking out with quotes that I wanted to type, stacks of books I'm waiting to read, piles of things that I've forgotten what I meant to do with them.

And I felt like tearing my hair out or crawling into bed or sitting down and binging on House of Cards all over again. Anything other than cleaning that office.



So I closed the door and went in the kitchen because meals must be cooked whether you are nervous or not.



Cooking always calms me down. I think it did Gladys too.



Each day this week I have gone to my office and sorted papers and books. I have organized the heck out of papers and books but they are still in piles. I keep thinking that once it is all organized that then it will look organized. But it doesn't yet and that makes me very nervous. 


So I go back to my kitchen and wash dishes or cook.

Our Amaryllis 'Caprice' keeps me company as she has since early December. She has given me of her beauty in generous doses that have sometimes almost been more than I could handle as I studied her colors and delicate petals.

"All of this for me?" I ask her, as she has given me bloom after bloom unstintingly, the second stalk even gifting me with five huge blooms.

And as I spritzed the moss around her base and saw it return daily to jade green, I noticed that even the grass has put on tiny flowers. Who knew it would do that?

I've smiled at the miracle of that, foolish Gladys Taber mentee that I am.


I realized this week that my husband really knows and understands me. He understands the pleasure I have gotten from this large window over my kitchen sink ever since we moved in two years ago.



He notices that things change seasonally and that it is really not the place for him to plop a sponge pad down to dry. He knows that his coffee thermos is not going to be there long when he empties it out at night and puts hot water in it to soak. Because when I see it sitting in my window I move it.

I think he realizes now that this window is not only my view to the garden that he made for me last spring and summer but it is also my canvas.



I'm guessing that he has learned that there always needs to be something pink blooming there, or about to bloom. The other day he brought home a $3.99 hyacinth bulb from the grocery store.


He couldn't, wouldn't, have pleased me more if it had been diamonds. Naturally, it is pink.


And I savor that.

What I haven't done is savor the delight of the day, for every day has delight if we take time to look for it. And when I think it over, I feel I have wasted a day, and no way will ever come again.
Gladys Taber

I love it when my heroes are not perfect all the time, when they've walked the same road I have and learned from it and then taught me about it. 

Like Gladys, I have to do the best I can, failing sometimes and picking myself up and starting all over again the next day. 

It's still going to be winter for a long time, like it or not. I happen to enjoy it and am in no hurry for the months when we'll once again use our outdoor dining room. 


There's still time for winter cooking, not holiday food but nothing stringently painful either.


There's still time to finish organizing my office/writing room. At least the old primitive green drop-leaf table that I use for my desk has been cleaned off.


I knew I would be forced to start with that if I piled everything that had been dumped on it lately into my recliner.


 And gradually I'll work my way around the rest of the room, because after all, when my youngest granddaughter left to go home on Christmas Eve, she gave me a little something.....



 She left some of her Super Hero Girls power with me!

That office is due for some major clean up! Because it really does make me have nervous spells the way it is now.

But first I might go to the kitchen and check on Caprice. She and I might even bake a cake first.




Cake, amaryllis 'Caprice' and Gladys. This winter is going to be too short for all the wonderful things we're going to do!




8 comments:

  1. Oh, I loved every single word. I adore that window. Any trouble with birds flying into it? Do you feed birds? For some reason I cannot now fathom, it 1981 I decided I wanted the windows above the sink to be divided, and not those temporary dividing sticks, but the real, permanent dividers. Well, for ages now they have been driving me crazy. I want a clear glass window like yours! The soft pinks like yours are such sweet colors. Hazel said the other day that she loves pink. I think many people feel the same way after Christmas. They bustle around re-arranging, picking up, throwing out. It is really quite wonderful, I think. You are accomplishing so much. I quit Fb. I realized that blogging is what I love. Fb is too speedy, just too much, period for me. I love all of Gladys' words, and she was indeed such a human person. She didn't try to present herself as perfect, or knowing all the answers. Thus, we readers feel she is a friend, not a role model, but someone moseying along the same path as the rest of us. Wonderful posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan, I was so surprised when I saw your comment because this is my no comment blog! Then I realized I must have forgotten to set it for that and your comment is so terrific that I just had to publish it. Gosh, now I'm thinking that I might keep it that way sometimes because it was fun to find this.

      Yes we have fed the birds all our married life except when we were in Florida those 9 months. We only noticed one bird hitting the window but we did move the bird feeder outside the garden a year ago to outside the kitchen porch so maybe that helped. I've always said that RH provides a Hotel Hilton for the birds but we enjoy seeing them so much.

      My little granddaughters love pink too, and purple! I love what you've written about Gladys and I agree wholeheartedly. She has been an inspiration to me for decades and I know that you love her too because that is why I first found your blog! Thank you for commenting, Nan!

      Delete
    2. Well, I was just delighted to see that comments were open! You write so beautifully, and I love being able to "write back". You might want to tell the readers of the other blog so they know they can comment here, too! I had another person tell me that's how she found my blog, too. And it turns out she went to high school the same place my son did, and of course we have many other things in common. Gladys fans!

      Delete
    3. That is amazing, Nan, to find out that your son and your commenter both went to the same high school! Now I'm humming Disney's It's a Small World After All.....

      Delete
  2. Did you turn on comments for this blog now? I love this post...I get sucked into your home-y writing and looking at photos of your lovely, personable home and I want to keep reading more! I could really empathize with this posting too, as I feel this way - nervous and wanting to do more, but yet not seeming to really accomplish anything by the end of the day, even though I did so much - a lot! I have a feeling it's a woman thing. I bet if we asked men about this, they'd have no idea what we were talking about.

    I love that your husband brought you a hyacinth bulb from the grocery store to go by your sink. That is so sweet, and I agree I would rather receive thoughtful little gifts like that than diamonds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Melanie! Maybe it is a universal feeling for women. Also worth figuring out the days when we feel the opposite. Having comments turned on was an accident but I'm kind of liking it for now. We'll see.......

    Thank you for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's official: YOU, my dear Dewena, are our 21st century Gladys! I declare it! One day, I WILL make my way to Stillmeadow, but until then, I am perfectly happy to visit Home Hill, every chance I get, and especially on days when its rooms are cluttered with clues of a well-lived life, exhibiting examples of its lady's busyness, the people and things that beautify her existence, that demand her attention, both exciting and calming her being!

    Thank you for sharing your 'nervous' day with us and walking us through each and every 'reaction'. Hope you and Caprice had your cake and ate it,too!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do make it to Stillmeadow someday, Poppy! You're nearer it now than I am. And I did have my cake, Caprice shook her head as she is so proud of her figure.

      Delete