Thursday, January 3, 2019

A Goof and Gladys Taber


First, the goof...

On my previous post I bombarded you with pictures of preparation of our New Year's Day supper and then....

Then I left out the picture of the completed meal!

I just discovered it and inserted the picture there but this is what our meal looked like:



And now for Gladys Taber, my dear Gladys!

If you're a Gladys Taber fan, you remember that she loved sauerkraut, even made it herself when she and Jill first moved to Stillmeadow. 

And if you're a Taber fan but don't have her book of short stories called One Dozen and One Short Stories, do yourself a favor and find a copy! Here's a link to one at Amazon. 

One of my favorite stories in the book is called "Matchmakers" where shy spinster Miss Moss finds herself being wooed by shy bachelor Mr. Barnes. One day he takes her to his favorite restaurant and they discover they both love sauerkraut.

I love sauerkraut too but didn't put a picture of it in the previous post because it's very difficult to make sauerkraut look good. So I enhanced it a little in this shot.


See, kind of the ugly duckling of food, but such a beautiful swan in the mouth. 

Or Gladys and I think so, anyway.

But Mr. Barnes swept her into a German restaurant where everybody knew him, and the tables had checked covers on them, and it smelled of sauerkraut. This was the downfall of Miss Moss. She cherished a secret passion for sauerkraut, which her mother had never let in the house. She sank into the chair at the little round table and raised her eyes to Mr. Barnes, and said, "Oh--I smell the sauerkraut...."
"Hi, Gus," he said. "Double my order."
from One Dozen and One Short Stories
by Gladys Taber

And they and the cats lived happily ever after!