Wednesday, October 31, 2018

October Goodbye



Once again it is the last day of the month and tomorrow time to flip the page on my calendar. Each month the illustrations by Kevin Dodds just get better and better. 

I'm going to miss seeing this one in my kitchen but I can't really say that I'll miss October of 2018 because it has sure kicked my butt, to put it crudely, something I almost never do.

Things are looking much better than they did at the beginning of the month so onward and giddyap, Dewena.





While almost no fall decorating got done this year, my sweet old squirrel came out of hiding for autumn and winter, with his barbed wire necklace. I propped a couple of old family photographs around for a touch of spooky Halloween decor.

This one is of an aunt's grandfather who worked with Nashville's streetcar system. He's playing with his work band, the Nashville Railway Electric Company band. 

I can't remember which one Aunt Teenie told me was her grandfather.




An old family reunion photograph went in my kitchen tucked into a wire container that holds special vintage cookbooks.




I'm guessing that the family might have gathered for Decoration Day since many family reunions took place then.

Beside it is a cute Halloween card from our daughter who sent us a box of goodies, a friendly bat tucked into the package too.



He's flying high over my All-Clad pans and I love his company in my kitchen. 

After a month of being stuck inside wrapped in sweaters and coughing my brains out, I finally got out this week for a few hours. A trip to Goodwill perked me up, especially when I found a perfect pair of Pottery Barn long velvet curtains for under $10. I say they're red velvet but it's more like a red wine color and I have a special plan for them.

And I'm spending some time outside now with BreeBree and James Mason, enjoying the gradual turning of the leaves.



This is the view from my bathroom window to our side yard and I had to take the camera out to capture this autumn beauty. 

The gigantic maple in the front yard hasn't turned yet and that's just the way I like it, autumn being stretched out as long as it can be.

I'm loving it. Happy Halloween to you!


When the leaves began to turn, and the apples were ripe, and there was a frosty zest in the morning air, I began, after a long forenoon in the garden or orchard, or tramping in country roads, to be conscious that there was something in life quite worth living for.
David Grayson in Adventures in Solitude
after a long illness.