Tuesday, September 13, 2022

September Morning

 

Our garden is a fine place to be on a cool sunny September morning with a "scarf of blue mist around her shoulders."


I try to snap a clear picture of BreeBree and James Mason as they chase madly around trying to pick up the scent of Chester, resident chipmunk.


Hummingbirds zoom in and out to the tiny red flowers of an unknown plant. On one day the flowers dwindle down to a few and I wonder if they should be cut back to encourage more blooms but then the very next morning it is loaded with red blooms, and hummingbirds. Over and over.
 

The hydrangeas are past their peak. This year I'm not cutting bunches for drying. 



We haven't taken down the Fourth of July bunting yet. Hopefully it will come down before the Christmas wreath goes up.


 I'm letting go of summer a little bit at a time this year but a September garden with BreeBree and James Mason is a fine place to be.

September comes to us as a woman blessed with a great inheritance, whose lines have fallen in fair places. She has the flash and frame of leaves that begin to turn, she is colorful with blossoms, and she wears a scarf of blue mist around her shoulders. But to think of all the glories that have been handed down to her from August.

Richardson Wright, Truly Rural


4 comments:

  1. Summer is lingering here, too, and I'm in no hurry to see it pass. The days are slowly slowly cooling and the nights lengthening. The sight of hummingbirds in and out of your flowers must be so charming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to enjoy the season I'm in but still love knowing that beautiful autumn will be wonderful when it comes. I tried to rush July and August away too much when I was younger, I'm afraid. I will miss the hummingbirds! The purple martins left in late July and the red wing blackbirds left a couple of weeks ago. I always love seeing how your beautiful climate changes differently than ours.

      Delete
  2. Such a lovely quote from Richardson Wright! I do love September, but I'm never in a hurry for seasons to change. I think I love that 'between' time, when one is leaving and the next is just peeking around the corner, waiting for me with expectation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, I love the idea of a between time! That's a nice way to think of September.

      Delete