Sunday, August 28, 2022

Nectarines or Peaches?

 

I'm an unabashed lover of nectarines. Whenever our local markets have organic nectarines, we buy a small sackful. 

Here's an easy and delicious nectarine dessert that was in the September 2020 issue of the UK Country Living. Sorry, but I couldn't find an online link to the recipe.


 Baked Nutmeg and Rosemary Nectarines

Oven 400 F (200 C) -- I guessed at the conversion.

1. Lay sprigs of fresh rosemary on baking dish and top with 4 nectarines halved and pitted, cut side up.

2. Grate 1/4 of whole nutmeg over the fruit and sprinkle on 2 tablespoons brown sugar on top and a pinch of sea salt. (I also sprinkled on a little of the Lemon Juice powder that I got from Baker's Catalogue.)

3. Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil over (I used the Greek olive oil my daughter brought me that I use sparingly in special recipes.)

4. Bake 25-30 minutes at 400 F.

5. Serve with Greek yogurt, porridge or rice pudding. 

I used my favorite mascarpone with a little honey stirred in on top and the flavor was intensely delicious. We didn't eat the rosemary with the fruit but it did add an amazing scent.

 

Here's another wonderful nectarine dessert I make, with pictures from two years ago. I never included it in a blog because my crust looked pitiful. Here is a link to the Garden & Gun recipe for Nectarine and Berry Cobbler.

Their picture:


My picture:


 See what I mean? But it is a yummy recipe.


 I wrote down the following quotation about nectarines some time ago but failed to note the author. I suspect it was either from one of my Richardson Wright books or James Beard's.

Edward A. Bunyard [1878-1939], an English gourmet of the highest flight and one of the most brilliant essayist on fruit (did you read his "The Anatomy of Dessert"?) confessed that blindfolded he couldn't tell them apart [peaches and nectarines] if peeled. He finally agreed that the peach had it all over the nectarine for the texture of the flesh--a smooth, butter-like flesh--and the nectarine had it all over the peach for flavor.

RH prefers peaches. I prefer nectarines.

What about you?


6 comments:

  1. I can just imagine rosemary with nectarines/peaches - what a great combination. Sweet plus astringent and savoury. I recently read that a nectarine is simply a peach without the fuzzy skin. I'm not sure I believe it. I prefer peaches as I've had too many nectarines with a mealy texture that puts me off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorrie, I suppose that mealy texture is what Bunyard was referring to. I think there might be less of that noticeable when nectarines are baked, or else I just didn't notice it. But you're right, the rosemary would be great with peaches too.

      Delete
  2. My mouth is watering looking at both of these recipes! Like you, I prefer nectarines over peaches. I'm not a fan of the fuzzy skin on peaches. I've been buying organic nectarines at Trader Joe's and our regular grocery store and they're absolutely delicious. So juicy, I have to either stand over the sink or go outside and eat them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Melanie, they're as juicy as peaches this summer for some reason! That's me re the fuzz on peaches. RH just eats it all but I have to peel a peach to eat it. Not that I'm not willing to do that for one peach cobbler a summer but even that is not the same since we used to churn fresh peach ice cream to top it back in the good ole days.

      Delete
  3. Definitely peaches - but it all looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling that in a poll, peaches would win!

      Delete