Saturday, February 12, 2022

Oh, for a good right arm!

 

Do you ever not get around to baking something meant for Christmas until after Christmas? This Tennessee Jam Cake was meant for December but now I better claim it's for St. Valentine's Day. (Google sent me the picture above, animated but I can't make it dance for you.)

When RH's mother was alive she used to make Jam Cakes for Christmas and he loved them but I don't have her recipe. Instead I used Alabama author Eugene Walters' recipe for the cake but ditched his icing recipe as it has raw egg whites in it. 

I never can pull off pretty baking styling  pics because I always seem to make a mess while I'm cooking but I do have a gorgeous view to the pond outside the window where my pretty blue mixer sits. 

 

One reason I loved the way this cake recipe turned out is because it called for separating 5 eggs and beating the egg whites stiff before incorporating them into the final cake batter. That step makes a lighter cake. Then again, I love a dense cake too... I guess I just plain like a homemade cake, however it's made and this one was delicious!

 

That's RH icing the cake for me. He also had to beat the icing for me because I've been having a lot of trouble with my right arm since Christmas when I hurt my left wrist and started overcompensating using my right arm. These things seem to take a long time to heal.

RH claims that his mother used her coffee icing with the jam cake and I do have her recipe for that because I have her Devil's Food Cake recipe.  So yummy coffee icing went on this.

I tried to find a similar jam cake recipe to link to rather than trying to type out this one but rejected every one until I found a recipe for it from one of our favorite Nashville restaurants that is very popular with local country music stars. RH and I and our daughter and son-in-law had our Thanksgiving dinner there one year, such good Southern food, the walls covered in autographed photographs of the greats of country music and often a few live ones to see too.

So here's a link to the Loveless Cafe's Big Momma's Blackberry Jam Cake! 

And Big Momma's recipe looks so good that I'm going to try it next time, especially since I think this cake needs caramel icing instead of coffee. (Not that I couldn't sit and eat a bowl of my mother-in-law's coffee icing all day.)

I should have taken a picture of my fabulous cake pans. If you love to bake cakes please check out Chicago Metallic Professional Lifetime Non-Stick Cake Pans. I bought two of them from Chef's Catalogue years ago when Cook's Illustrated magazine recommended them. I don't know if the ones sold on Amazon are the same quality as my original ones that I paid $16 a piece for (you only were allowed to buy 2) because they are super heavy and I see some complaints on Amazon that theirs aren't as heavy as the old original ones. And Chef's Catalogue sold all their inventory to Tuesday Morning but say they'll be back soon. I hope so because I furnished my kitchen over the years from that catalogue.
 

RH took big slices of cake to family the next day and we really need to send more because it's taking up so much room in our small fridge. I think most cakes are so much better cold, don't you? 

RH has had to help with a lot of my cooking lately as my elbow and wrist just won't do chopping and slicing and opening jars right now. I won't include a recipe for the dish in this next picture because I've posted about it in the past and almost no one likes canned sardines the way we do but here's a picture of my lunch the other day, Sardine Rotini Pasta Salad. I washed all the produce in my fridge and RH chopped it and opened the cans of sardines for me and stirred, another thing that's hard for me to do right now, and by golly, this is a good salad. 

A big container of it went to our first born who likes sardines too, and my recipe for that is promised to his wife because mom just might be past the point of a lot of chopping anymore. And dad's not too thrilled with chopping vegetables right now. 

Not with me standing over him saying "No, not that way, you're getting the pieces too big! Slice them thin! And you have to cut the cilantro in small slivers! I won't be able to eat big pieces of onion, you'll have to chop it extra fine."

Oh, for a good right arm!
  



12 comments:

  1. Hi Sis,
    So happy to see your post!
    I had made potato salad & baked beans ( ready to pop in oven) as ribs are cooking on grill.
    Determined to sit down & relax, picked up phone & delighted to find your post!
    Your cake looks scrumptious! Years ago I would make a Jam Cake at Christmas!
    Sorry you are having issues with your right arm. RH stepped right in to help you! ��
    Anticipating a piece of cake for sure!
    The view from your kitchen window is grand! The pond and wildlife that visit you are a blessing each day, I’m sure!
    Have a good Saturday evening!
    Now I want cake!
    Love you ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Deb! Your Saturday evening meal sounds wonderful! Wish we were there with you. Yes, I'm thankful for my sous chef! And we never realized when we moved here how very much the wildlife at the pond would come to mean to us. The flock of 20 that have visited all winter hasn't been up the last couple of days, only a pair. That makes me wonder if they're already choosing their place to nest this year.

      Wish I could share some cake with you! We just cut small pieces and it's so good. Love you, dear sister!

      Delete
  2. Hello Dewena,
    So sorry that you've been having trouble with your right arm while allowing your left one to heal. We're all a little more fragile as we age, aren't we? Your kitchen window view is beautiful. I love looking at my garden while I'm in the kitchen, but your pond would be a step above! The cake looks so good. I'd be in for the caramel icing, too!
    Have a good Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lorrie, thank you and you're so right about the ageing but I am so grateful to have the opportunity to age, regardless of aches and pains.

      This big kitchen window over my sink is what I most loved about this house when our son sent us pictures of it. It's a constant window to nature and wildlife.

      One more vote for caramel! You have a good Sunday too!

      Delete
  3. omygosh! that cake looks delicious.
    and I've never had Jam Cake. I was hoping your hand and wrist and arm were getting better. it just takes a long time. maybe with Spring and warmer weather coming it will feel less painful.
    you made me think of my father. he often ate sardines! he was the only one in our family who liked them. as I recall he ate them very simply with crackers and a little mustard? at least I think so!
    I'm on my way to bed. it's late. and now I want CAKE! sending you love! XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My father, too, Tam! Or maybe it was hot sauce in his younger days. The odd thing is that you really don't taste sardines in this salad, even though I use four cans. Something about all the veggies and pasta and dressing mellows it out. And we do buy really good sardines. I don't think people realize that they are as good for you as salmon is, with 1700 mg of Omega-3s and 22 grams of protein.

      And of course if there's the least fishy taste after you eat my salad, following it with a piece of cake doesn't hurt! Love you, Tam!

      Delete
  4. I am so sorry you're having all this pain with your right arm! Can anything help...physical therapy? Acupuncture? Good thing you have a helper with all the cooking and baking you do! Your cake looks wonderful.

    I hadn't baked in ages as we don't eat many baked goods or sugar, but I'd been having a hankering for chocolate chip cookies, for whatever reason. So I made a batch last night and used a new recipe from one of my cookbooks. Maybe it was a good thing that I wasn't crazy about them. Even the traditional Tollhouse recipe is better than this one. I was able to control myself with just one cookie! And Brian doesn't like chocolate so I put the balls of dough on a cookie sheet and froze them, then put the frozen dough balls into a freezer bag. I suppose I can bake a few cookies if a friend comes over for a visit, or maybe I'll just bake them all at once and send them to work with Brian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Melanie,I do have a doctor appointment soon to assess what to do next.

      I've tried many different chocolate chip cookie recipes but I think the Toll House one remains my favorite as I like a crispy cookie. I bet Brian's colleagues would love to have fresh baked cookies!

      Delete
  5. I have never had sardines, maybe I should try them some day. The cake looks good . Hope the doc finds something to help you with the wrist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another way we use the canned sardines is with Trader Joe's Basil Linguine. It honestly does not taste too fishy.

      Thank you, Sandy!

      Delete
  6. Hello, Dewena,

    Until this amazing post of yours, I had always thought that a jam cake was a cake whose layers were spread with jam and sometimes topped with whipped cream, like a Victoria Sponge. Needless to say, I was surprised to learn that jam is actually incorporated INTO the batter, which makes complete sense, since it obviously sweetens and enhances the flavour! Your Tennessee Jam Cake is the perfect dessert for Valentine's Day, with your nod to RH's mama and him helping you with the icing - what teamwork to create this delicious tradition!!

    And how can anyone go wrong making and baking such a cake with a gorgeous view like yours! Look at that blue sky, dotted with those puffy white clouds, (inspiration for those 5! separated eggs beaten to fabulous fluffiness!), the red facade against it, and of course, the sparkling pond, refreshing the entire scene.

    You will find that your Sardine Rotini Pasta Salad had this reader's radar flashing! I typed 'Sardine Rotini Salad' in your search box and found my way to a 2013 post of yours, where you include the ingredients and I read them all very carefully, a few times, making mental notes to search for substitutes, etc., before I had what I needed to put this recipe to good use!

    I hope your elbow and wrist are on the mend; it's been some time now since the pain first started.

    Thanks for sharing your Tennessee Jam Cake with us - I can't wait to try that, too, but I made SO many cakes in Canada that I need to take a break.

    Happy Thursday, Dewena!

    Love, Poppy xx



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poppy, I was amazed this morning to find you had commented on the post in 2013! I had forgotten when I did that, probably should have linked to it but I think I have added to the recipe over the years. In the mayonnaise I now add either Prosecco vinegar or Champagne vinegar and also stir in paprika and a little cayenne, also a dab of Dijon and lime juice. But I think your pasta salads there aren't really mayonnaise based, are they? If you do make it I hope you'll share with me any changes you make. Wouldn't it be wonderful if you used some of Crete's fresh sardines, maybe grilling them?

      I am determined to make your Victoria Sponge when our local strawberries come in this spring! I printed your recipe out from your blog years ago!

      Now I'm going to that 2013 post to answer your comment there! It's pouring down rain and wind is howling here with potential dangerous storms forecast for later, which means possible power outage so I'll do that and then get busy running all the electrical helpers in the house while I can. I'll cook supper early, chicken chili and cornbread, just in case. Have a wonderful weekend, dear Poppy!

      Delete