Monday, February 14, 2022

Of Love Stories and Winter

 


 Happy St. Valentine's Day!

Are you like me, wanting to read everything an author has written when you find one you love? 

When I kept enjoying short stories written by Margaret Culkin Banning in my vintage magazine collection, I decided to find her novels. So far I've read two of the four I've found.


 

I Took My Love to the Country was the first one and is a good love story, published in 1966. 

It's a sophisticated love story divided between New York City and the fictional town of DeSota, North Carolina. Clearly, DeSota is much like Highlands, North Carolina where the wealthy from big cities have had second homes for many decades. The mountains of North Carolina are my soul's home and I remember driving through Highlands so many times on trips back and forth to visit family.

I loved this book and Banning's writing style and I loved that much of the story is centered around the world of the horse country wealthy. I have always been kind of hooked on Hunt Club themed novels and this included a lot of it. 

But I also loved that the novel was centered a lot around the old family home that Stephen and Jenny Cooper come back to in the mountains after he loses his job in New York City.


The Splendid Torments, published in 1976, takes place immediately post-Watergate in Washington, D.C. It is a fascinating read of politics in an era I can remember from my young married days. 

It is fictionalized but I could easily identify many of the fictional characters. The book portrays the way relationships between husbands and wives can be severely stressed when one of the spouses works practically 24/7 for the current administration. 

It made me think of one of the story lines in the television series West Wing where Leo's wife leaves him, unable to take the neglect of her that her husband's job demanded. 

The book also shows that politics is something very hard to leave if you have a real passion for it and government. 

So there are two love stories for you but I'm not urging you to read them because I know that my taste in fiction is from mid-century and backwards, not current contemporary novels. 

Here are two more things I love...


 The heavy bronze statue a sister sent me from her store that I named Betsy after our beloved basset hound. She wears a watch that belonged to my mother.

The second thing I love is the small square painting of the Cross that our nine-year old granddaughter painted for us for Christmas!

 February has brought with it an urge to change things around in the house. At Valley View I would move whole rooms around, with some strong helpers. Living rooms became dining rooms and a few years later reverted back to living rooms. Something was always being moved at Valley View. Here at Home Hill that's just not feasible. But this month, after Candlemas Day when Christmas was finally packed away, I've shifted chairs and moved accessories from one room to another and it satisfies my need for change. The picture below shows where I swapped the mid-century sunburst type clock that was in my living room to my bedroom and put the vintage English sunburst lamp in its place. 


 I brought some of my poetry books from a bookshelf to the living room where they would be easy to select from, and the Banning novels are back in my bedroom where I'm now reading Lifeboat Number Two. [June 14: just finished reading this because I kept laying it aside. I enjoyed the last part of the book when the many shipboard characters became more familiar to me but it is not a book I want to reread, unlike my favorite Banning books.]

I'm still deep in winter decorating and will wait until March to start thinking of Spring even though tips of green are already pushing their way up through the grass outside. I know that's not what bloggers do in a world where everything starts a month or two early. 

It's just that I know me well and next July I'm going to be missing the cold of February where curling up with a good book is extra special. 

What about you? And do you also have to binge on a certain author when you discover them? 

14 comments:

  1. Oh yes! Once I find an author I enjoy, I try to read everything he or she has written. I remember when I discovered the short stories of Rosamunde Pilcher in a ladies' magazine - can't remember which one. Then I discovered she had novels! I think I own them all.
    I used to move furniture around, too, and Tim could never understand it, but he moved the heavy stuff for me. Now, our rooms work the way they are and it's harder to move things around with cables and such. So, like you, I switch around accessories.

    Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorrie, Rosamunde Pilcher was a stupendous discovery for me too. I remember her short story in a magazine that was about a husband who comes home from a business trip with a cold and stays home during the week to work and get over the cold. Before this, when he came home from work each day and asked his wife what she had done that day she would answer, "Nothing much." Or something like that. During that week at home he discovered just how much she actually did each day. That story is what made me search for her novels and then I read Shell Seekers and was a fan forever. I too have every one of her books now! And I still turn back to them periodically.

      Happy Valentine's Day to you!

      Delete
    2. I, also, am a binge reader and own every Rosamunde Pilcher novel! I love Jan Karon, Louise Penney and Debbie Macomber. And of course, Agatha Christie!

      Delete
    3. Hi Ellen, I have every Jan Karon novel too! I discovered her before any Nashville bookshops, Christian or otherwise, had heard of her. One of them agreed to order At Home in Mitford for me. She soon became such a bestseller that all bookshops carried her books. I think I've read the entire series through at least 4 times.

      And Louise Penney is another favorite of mine and I know she is of Lorrie's, commenting above. I am not enjoying her later books as much as I did her earlier ones though, but I know she must be writing for a younger demographic that loves them and she is hugely popular so I'm proud of her great success. I do have some Debbie Macomber books, especially the Christmas ones and always watch for the Hallmark movies based on her books. I only have one Agatha Christie book but believe I've read all of hers when I was younger and used the library more. One of my sisters is an expert on Christie. She would probably win a trivia contest on her!

      Nice to hear from you, Ellen!

      Delete
  2. Sometimes I binge on certain authors, but not often. I have to say - I've found some great authors through you - ones I've never heard of before.

    I haven't been able to get into much fiction lately, so I've been reading a lot of non-fiction.

    I enjoy puttering and changing things around in the house, too. I mentioned to Brian just last night that I wish this house had a dining room. Unfortunately, we only have an eat-in kitchen. I would like to host a girlfriend's gathering here, but there's nowhere to seat more than 4-6 people. I would love to have a big island in my kitchen with some chairs around it, then a dining room table where my couch in the living room currently is. There'd still be room in the living room to have a couple of chairs by the fireplace, so there'd still be a cozy seating area. And we do have a family room in the basement if we wanted to a place to be with a couch and TV.

    It will probably never happen for a variety of reasons, but it's fun to daydream sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melanie, I can really see your idea for a dining room working beautifully there! It would be marvelous to have a fireplace in the dining room! Maybe if you keep noodling on the idea you will find a way to make it work eventually. I know you have your girlfriends group where you all get together a few times during the year as well as other family and friends. It might be fun, especially for holidays. And an island in the kitchen would give you more workspace as well as a place for meals for the two of you. A daydream is where all good ideas begin!

      Delete
  3. Your posts are always enjoyable with your descriptions and photos. The books look interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't read books anymore... until I have my cataract surgery (I hope this year!) but I vividly remember discovering Rosamunde Pilcher and have read All of hers. and even her son's Robin... who only wrote a few to my knowledge. I have her book about the Christmas at her home. it's just like her fiction... perfectly descriptive and I look at it every Christmas.
    and I love MC Beaton's mysteries. they're set in the Cotswolds for Agatha Raisin and in the highlands of Scotland for Hamish McBeth. I just soak up the atmosphere.
    I always enjoy the vignettes around your cottage. everything has a wonderful Story!
    like your mother's watch on the neck of the beautiful bronze "Betsy" given to you by your sister... in honor of a beloved basset hound! it's the pleasure and love of All the little things. they make it so much easier travelling these rather scary times in our lives. thank you for taking the time (and Effort) to share them in this BEAUTIFUL blog! it always lightens my heart! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you miss being able to read a book in hand now, Tam, but you do read so many books on a device which I've never done yet. I know you've mentioned MC Beaton's books many times to me and I am stopping right now to write down Agatha Raisin and Hamish McBeth because I'm determined to begin going to the library again. Books are too expensive for me to keep buying them! I'm sure I would enjoy her mystery series if you do.

      Thank you so much dear Tam for being a friend and my blog follower for 10 years now--can it really be that long?

      Delete
  5. Your love of reading and the books that span decades always draw me in, Dewena. Sometimes I feel that books and recipes are one in the same, if I tried a recipe or read a book each and every day, I couldn't do it in a lifetime! But yes, I do look for more books by a writer after reading something really good. Years ago I would reread books, mostly short stories and essays. Not so much now that I have that stack on my nightstand!!

    I haven't done much with my home. It's a blank slate but comfy. I have my favorite artwork, books, candles, and plants. When I work on a room, as I have been with my family room for three years now--I can't make a move unless I'm sure it's what I want. I don't follow trends, I follow my heart and it takes awhile!!

    I didn't know you had such a history with North Carolina. Of course you've been to Asheville. I miss it so much. It's complicated but we still own our condo and I pray I get back soon.

    Sending ❤️

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, I remember your condo in Asheville and how much you loved to stay there in the time before pandemic happened. I hope you can return soon as it is such a lovely city with so much to do and see. I have many fond memories of it and still have cousins living there.

      I always love seeing pictures of your home and your lake house too and I know you move very purposefully in changing your decor or furnishings. I think that after discovering blogs I spent years trying to figure out how I could make my own house more like what I saw on blogs--so frustrating! And then I just started doing what I liked and found I was so much more happier. In the process of that I found a large group of people from around the world in the Old World Design Society who like the same things I like.

      Jane, I find that I'm not rereading old favorites that much anymore either. Or at least I'm searching for new-old authors from the mid-century and back as it's still my favorite time period. And I love discovering memoirs and biographies of people who lived during that time. But you're right, there's not enough time in the world to read all the books I want to read or to try recipes I want to try. But we keep trying, don't we?

      Delete
  6. I am not a bookworm, like many of your followers, Dewena, but as you know, I do love poetry and it's the anthologies I go to time and time again, for hope, wonder, whimsy and comfort. Instead of authors, I stick with a poet that has made me ponder, laugh, and question, and again, as you know, Billy Collins has checked all those boxes!

    Having recently returned from yet another extended stay in Toronto, I am looking forward to doing some spring decorating - not as much as years before, and especially out in the garden and patio. I can't wait to see if the freesia cuttings from Fofo's flower boxes given to me last October, have popped up in my terracotta pots on the patio, when I leave Libby's apartment in the city this Saturday!

    Thank you for your constant inspiration of beautiful words and images. Your collection of featured accessories must bring you so much joy, each with its own unique story and meaning in your life.

    Happy Thursday, sweet friend.
    Poppy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poppy dear, I'm so glad you had the time in Toronto to be with family and catch up with old friends but I know you're back in your happy place, the beautiful island of Crete. Deep snow is beautiful for a while but it must be hard to beat the olive groves around your home and having the mountains above you and the gorgeous sea not far away, paradise really.

      I hope Fofo's freesias thrive in your garden! I have never seen a freesia in real life, can you believe that? I keep wanting to buy a perfume with freesia in it. And I know what Billy Collins means to you! I was so disappointed not to go to his reading when he was in Nashville a few years ago but the sad event of our dear dachshunds' passing kept me at home. I knew though that when my friends had him autograph one of his poetry books for me that the book belonged to you and sent it on its long way to you. I only learned to love poetry when I stopped trying to appreciate them as poems and instead read them as prose, something a professor at our local community college taught me to do when I told her I thought I should drop the class in my frustration of not "getting it".

      So glad I stuck it out and just pretended poems weren't poems! Love you!

      Delete