Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Beefeater Salad Miyako Hotel San Francisco

 This is a really old Bon Appétit recipe from a hotel that is now the Hotel Kabuki. Even in winter I make this salad when I cook a roast beef and have leftover beef the next day, but in cold weather I serve it alongside vegetable beef soup, also made from scraps of the meat. 

I serve the roast beef with its vegetable sides and drippings gravy the first night, use the gravy to make excellent soup the second night, but I also make up the salad the second day too only I save it for the third night as it needs to meld 24 hours in the fridge.

 

Mix up the vinaigrette first: whisk 1 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, 1 teaspoon each of lemon juice, salt, dry mustard, and minced fresh chives, parsley, and tarragon [I do my best with what's still alive in the herb pots moved to the barn in the winter]. Add 1/2 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce, and 1/4 teaspoon each of black pepper and thyme. 

Cook a few potatoes until tender. 

Cut into julienne strips 1 pound of leftover cooked roast beef [or whatever amount you have]. Chop an onion [or scallions], a bell pepper [whatever color you have], a stalk [or two] of celery, and one dill pickle [I leave it out sometimes but it is good with this. Slice the cooked potatoes in their jackets and I chopped a bunch of parsley from the grocery, saving some for final garnish.]

 

Sauté sliced mushrooms until golden in [unsalted] butter and combine with the roast beef and vegetables. Pour over the vinaigrette, toss and chill for 24 hours. 

Arrange on lettuce leafs and garnish with beet slices [I use pickled beets] and quartered hard-boiled eggs, and  chopped parsley. 

[If I have good anchovies on hand I follow the recipes directions to garnish with that but not the white asparagus spears they suggest.]


My apologies to three of my vegetarian friends who faithfully visit here even when months have gone by since I last posted. 

You gotta start somewhere and this was it. And it really is delicious, even in winter when it snows.

Speaking of snow, we've had two beautiful snowfalls and several mornings when the grass has at least turned white. Snow still makes me feel 16 again, or like the mom of small children home on snow days that I once was. Although I no longer make rice krispy squares on snow days.

I wonder what beastie made these tracks in the snow on my kitchen porch?


 Surely not my tiny BreeBree with her dainty paws!


 Begosh and begorrah, it is Herself!

 

8 comments:

  1. Oh, that looks delicious, Dewena! A great plan for a roast. Your snow is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim! And your snow is beautiful too! A real treat for us Southerners, right?

      Delete
  2. LOLOLOL!
    I'm no longer a true vegetarian but I don't eat red meat. YOU my dear friend make everything sound and LOOK so scrumptious! you could easily have been so many things in this world... a chef. a food photographer. a designer of LIVING! but more importantly a WRITER! guess what I came across when looking through my emails!
    one of my FAVORITE books! 'Mellow Voice and Cupcake' !!! I can't start to enjoy it all over again! perhaps your truest Gift of all! sending you LOVE in all your snow.
    we still haven't had a drop of moisture! I shall just have to enjoy Yours.
    and please apologize to BreeBree for me for spelling her name as a cheese! LOL.
    love and snuggles to both her and her brother James Mason! and a special hug to you!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tam, I'd forgotten about Mellow Voice and Cupcake! I laid it aside when I realized that I'd have to get permission to use Hank Williams' lyrics in it. I've thought about having it printed up just to give to my kids and grands where they would see what Mom has been up to all these years.

      I didn't think you've said anything this winter about snow in OK. I hope you get some as I know how much you love it. Our Greek Goddess visiting Canada is seeing plenty of it. A big hug back to you, dear friend!

      Delete
  3. You changed the name of your blog! When did that happen? Hope I haven't missed too much. I have you on my Feedly account.
    This salad sounds delicious! About the only thing I do with leftover roast beef is re-heat it in the gravy and serve it again, or on toast as an open-face sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lorrie! No change of name though, this is my first blog and I try to keep up with it as well as Dewena's Window.

      With just the two of us, RH and I manage to stretch a roast for three meals including soup from scraps. Leftovers are like gold in the fridge to me!

      Delete
  4. I love a recipe that can have incarnations! If I have gravy I feel I can conquer the world! Good job. I'm going to write down your vinaigrette recipe.

    We've had the snow of course, and I'm seeing monstrous animal prints around the parameters of my house and inside our fence. I'm thinking opossum as I've seen them climb along the chain link fence on one side. But yesterday I found some seriously larger animal prints around our garage, then a larger amount of yellow urine in the snow. We are notorious for coyotes and fox here in the city and it is mating season. I simply worry about my pups! Sniff sniff!

    Stay warm and keep that good food simmering on the stove!

    Jane❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder what that animal could have been! I don't want coyotes around. They are not nice at all. We do have a neighborhood fox that I feel a little sorry for as he is not a picture book kind of fox at all. Yes, Jane, keep the pups close!

      Delete