Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Edna Ferber's Great Son

Ferber is one of my favorite authors and I meant to honor her birthday on August 15th with a post but it seems like nothing goes according to plan anymore. Isn't that strange? I mean, here I am with all this supposedly extra time at home and yet I have once again been absent from my blogs. Daily I go to Instagram and lose 45 minutes or more even though I don't even post there. 

I've done a lot of reading lately, lots of cooking, and yes, lots of Netflix at night. Otherwise, my time is lost to the dailyness of life.

 

 

Great Son is a slim book, a quick read published in 1944 about a fictional founding family of Seattle, Washington. Ferber makes the city sound fascinating and exciting but I'll narrow down my quotes here to two women in the protagonist's life.

Vaughan Melendy, a white haired giant of a man, is Seattle, heart, soul, and mind. He is a son of Seattle, as are his son and his grandson but it exasperates him just how different the two younger men are, the same way it exasperates him that his city is changing.

The three women in his life are his wife Emmy, his aging mother Exact Melendy who lives in a house up the hill from his and Emmy's, and another woman, Pansy, who lives in another house on his property. Pansy is the mother of his son who he and Emmy adopted and raised as their own. While I admired his mother for her past frontier life and her stubborn old lady ways, it is the other two women I want to give you a glimpse of.

 Emmy was a good woman and a wonderful housekeeper and a crashing bore. She sat now at her breakfast table, and everything she wore was fresh and in perfect order, and everything on the breakfast table was shining and exquisite, and Vaughan knew that the orange juice would be cold and the eggs would be hot...A neat and fussy housekeeper, completely feminine, and abysmally dull, as are all completely feminine women...Emmy ate almost no breakfast, drank her coffee black, had a way of making a hearty breakfaster feel guilty.

 After listening to his wife pick apart their daughter-in-law, Vaughan stands up, throws his napkin on the table, and leaves. After his daily visit to his mother, almost as exacting as is Madam Exact Melendy herself, he rewards himself by stopping by Pansy's house before leaving for work. Pansy is painting the kitchen wood trim, paint smear on her cheek, breakfast dishes piled in the sink. She says:

"Don't you love blue in a kitchen! Not all blue, but pieces of it, like this. The baseboards, and these three panels. Gay. The painters said they had never heard of such a thing, so I'm doing it myself. Painting's wonderful. Makes you feel so talented."

 

She never talked loudly; if you wanted to hear what she had to say you had to listen; there was nothing strident or sharp about her. Not like his womenfolk, not like Emmy's querulous whimpering or Exact's trumpetings.

 

 Pansy, in a bright pink apron and her "touched up" hair sometimes admits, "I haven't got a mite of style. Put a thousand-dollar dress on me and it looks like a bungalow apron."

 

Pansy's house was like her clothes--good and clean but careless...Sometimes the dishes were washed at once, sometimes they piled up for three meals, four...A natural cook, there always was good food in Pansy's house--a cold chicken in the icebox, a heel of succulent ham, beef for a midnight sandwich. She ate heartily as a man, liked her food without fripperies...

Emmy liked the recipes you saw illustrated in the women's magazines; in her cuisine mayonnaise mingled with pineapple slices and whipped cream and chopped nuts; maraschino cherries mated with lettuce.

 

I could go on and on but this should give you the picture. This great son of Seattle, Vaughan Melendy, is old Seattle, one of many men who made their fortunes in the Alaska Gold Rush. But times are changing, a world war looms, and life is sometimes a balancing act with three generations of Melendys.

And then there is Pansy, living near. The wife in me wants to stand up for Emmy and shun Pansy. But I can't and I don't think  you could could either.

 I adored Edna Ferber's So Big, Giant, Ice Palaces, Showboat, and other novels. I admire what this author of novels and short stories and Broadway plays wrote, especially knowing that she was the victim of frightening anti-Semitism in her childhood. And if you ever find a copy of Great Son, a quick read, I think you'll like it too.

 

 

Edna Ferber

August 15, 1885 - April 16, 1968

 




 

13 comments:

  1. Instagram strikes again!!!!!!!!

    Takes another blogger, into its clutches!!!!

    ~grin~

    Glad you surfaced, my Dear. I was wondering if all was ok. So, I asked. ~smile~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!!!!

    That fictional "Vaughn Melendy", should see Seattle now!!!!! Anarchy in the streets. City Council slashing Police Dept. Would anyone want to move to Seattle now?

    Actually, I'd love to know what Edna Ferber would think of Seattle, today?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of this while doing the post. It breaks my heart for those who love Seattle and a few people I know who live there. I know that Edna Ferber would be completely behind stopping discrimination in any form but I can't see her approving of violence against those trying to keep the city safe or destruction of property and buildings.

      I too would love to hear her wise thoughts today.

      Delete
  3. So sorry to be unavailable lately and will try to catch up again with everyone!

    But I don't post on Instagram, I only look at what others do there, especially so many of my family. I can't picture myself adding posting on Instagram to my day!

    Thank you for asking at the Window, I hope to get back there in a couple of days,
    Dewena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not post any more either. Not in some time. but have a few, I sort of follow. Only when I let myself! ~grin~ Because I know, if I turn it on, I will "get lost." Repeat ~grin~

      Actually our family members don't use it much anymore. Guess some are on Face Book but we do not do FB.

      Just glad you are back. We ladies all need each other! More so than ever before. ~sighhhhh~

      Gentle hugs...

      🍂✨🌼✨🍂✨

      Delete
  4. what a wonderful glimpse of the meat of this novel. you make it come to life!
    I've read a lot of Edna Ferber novels. most of them are those you've listed.
    and of course the movies that were made of many of them make her work memorable.
    but I'm sure there are many of her books... like this one that I missed.
    I wasn't always a fan of generational books. not even sure why.
    but I immediately like Pansy!
    except maybe for the dishes piled in the sink. I have to always do the dishes!
    but her approach to life I find delightful. and I've always loved to paint...
    so I related to her more.
    I can't stand women who are ALWAYS 'dieting!' and that is their only discussion.
    my own issues with severely limiting sugar and salt for health reasons (heart and diabetes) are even irritating to me in the extreme. LOL!
    and tearing down her daughter in law at breakfast.
    that told me all I needed to know of the wife Emmy. the perfect lady who cuts people to shreds.
    it's Pansy's free spirit that I love! I would enjoy this book for her part in it alone. and of course... the beautiful backdrop of Seattle! thanks Dewena. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tammy! I'm not surprised that the dishwashing thing was your exception! I kind of thought of someone you've told me about when Emmy's character was revealed in the book. Know who I mean?

      There was a lot of snobbishness going on in Emmy too because her mother or maybe grandmother had been a "Mercer" girl. Remember the old movie about the Mercer girls? The ship that sailed from New England with unmarried women for brides for men in the West? Maybe it happened right after the Civil War and so many men from the north had been killed and so not many husbands available for women from New England. I've always loved stories of the West being settled, which is strange because I'm the least adventurous of women and you could not have gotten me in a covered wagon. I'd be on the steps of my house in Philadelphia waving goodbye to a husband who was determined to go west, young man.

      I used to love to paint too! RH would come home and find I'd started painting a room and then naturally he had to help me finish it.

      But Seattle, how I've always wanted to see it, and Vancouver and so many places in the northwest coast area!

      Delete

  5. Oh, how I would have loved to have experienced Vaughan Melendy's Seattle, mostly because of the way you have described how he represents the city populated by so many explorers and, I assume, innovate minds of the time!

    Dewena, you have this extra sensory sense of the female protagonists in all the books you read, being so effortlessly able to give us perfect examples of their personalities, picking specific dialogue or actions, so that we can get a good glimpse of their true characters.

    Having said that, of the three women in Vaughan's life, I'm certain Pansy is his go-to girl for fun, inspiration, chitter-chatter and good food - especially since his spouse seems limited in the culinary arts, choosing to feed her ongoing dietary discipline, instead of attending to the needs of her family. To be fair, I have to give Emmy credit - unlike you, I don't think I would have been able to live on the same property with my husband's once-upon-a-time mistress(?), especially if I believed him to still be in love with her!

    I have not read any of Edna Ferber's books, but after reading YOUR review on this one, I do believe I'd enjoy them.

    The furthest west I've been in Canada is Lake Louise, Alberta, and it was absolutely magical, but to see British Columbia is a dream of mine. I'd love to visit other exciting and beautiful places in the Pacific Northwest like Oregon and California. Maybe, one day.

    In the meantime, big hugs from the other side of the Atlantic!
    Poppy xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Poppy! And I have to agree with you, I could never have done that either so we have to give Emmy some credit for even putting up with it. But I don't think the intimate relationship continued through the years. Since Ferber never married maybe she had a little broader view of the situation than we would.

      I too would love love love to visit British Columbia! And all the way to the small island of Crete! Wouldn't that be amazing? Would we ever stop talking?

      Delete
  6. I don't believe I have ever read her. I wonder if I've left you a comment before saying that - seems familiar to me, but maybe there's someone else who reads her. Perhaps Robin at A Fondness For Reading (whose blog you would like). How bizarre to have the biological and adoptive mother living at the same place. It's kinda sad when you think about it - sort of orderly women like Emmy pretty much always get a bum rap while the "artsy" and hip women are the cool ones. I really will try and get some Ferber read. It is about time! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I learn about the most interesting authors from you! I have never read Edna Ferber, nor had I heard of her until now. I think I rather like Pansy, though I wonder why she gave up her son for adoption? And does Vaughan end up falling in love with her?

    Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Dewena - i do the same thing at instagram - i don't post but i follow a ton of people and i'm especially hooked on indoor plants and succulants - there is so much there and all the hashtags to follow lead to even more. I've never read one of her books. The one about old Seattle sounds good.

    ReplyDelete