Wednesday, June 19, 2019

The Scent of Water's Col. & Mrs. Adams



For years I have meant to review Elizabeth Goudge's The Scent of Water, especially after rereading it in the days following the loss of our twin dachshunds Milo and Otis in the fall of 2017. 

Night after night my reward for getting through the day was getting into bed with The Scent of Water. It was the courage and dignity of two minor characters in the book, Col. & Mrs. Adams who were living in necessary frugality in their Holly Cottage, who helped give me courage to face the next morning.

And so I will simply share with you here Goudge's words about this remarkable couple who I wish had a book of their own, themselves the main characters. 



Here are Elizabeth Goudge's Col. & Mrs. Adams:

They did not have supper, just cocoa and bread and butter when they went to bed, cocoa being cheap...

 The fact was that by the time they had done the work that had to be done in the cottage, cooked and eaten their frugal lunch and washed up afterwards, they were tired and couldn't do much more for the rest of the day except sit; out in the garden in warm weather, in front of the fire in winter.

Colonel Adams was eighty-two and crippled with arthritis. He had suffered with a grim and humorous heroism for many years though now the joints were fixed and he was in less pain; but it was difficult to get about on his two sticks. Mrs. Adams was younger, a little creature who hardly reached her husband's shoulder, but her physique had not been equal to the strain of bearing her four sons, losing three of them in the war and having the fourth turn out so disappointing. Then had been the perpetual planning and contriving that had been necessary with the cost of living ceaselessly rising and Service pensions staying where they were. And so now she was delicate...

But if life had been hard for Mrs. Adams it had never occurred to her to think so, and her soft face was serene as a kitten's. It had never occurred to the Colonel to complain either. His lean brown face, with bushy white eyebrows and white calvary mustache was wrinkled in lines of perpetual good humor...
Colonel Adams finished his tea and turned his chair around to the fire and lit his pipe. The little room was shabby and charming...remnants of a beautiful carpet...yellow curtains and chair covers were faded and darned but still pretty. There were books, photographs of their children, and a few bits of rare china that could not be sold because they were cracked...Outside the window the evening light was turning the garden to magic and in the wood the cuckoo was still calling.
 Elizabeth Goudge in The Scent of Water




While there were other wonderful characters in this book, and I have a personal fondness for another minor character, Mrs. Hepplewhite who most people avoid like the plague, Col. & Mrs. Adams really tugged at my heartstrings.  

The whole community where the book takes place wrapped itself around my heart and I even rejoiced when the Adam's selfish sponging son had his own redemption story. 



Many layers make up The Scent of Water, not to mention the title itself that contains hidden meanings.

Finally, "What is the scent of water?"

The answer: 

     "Renewal. The goodness of God coming down like dew." 

Have you read The Scent of Water? Did you enjoy it?

Any other Goudge fans out there?

 
 

20 comments:

  1. I have this book but have never read it! I'm not sure if I have any other of her books...I just went downstairs and look through my bookcases, but couldn't find any. However, that may just mean that I have so many books, I overlooked the Goudge ones! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melanie, I just saw in your email that you have The Little White Horse and I Saw Three Ships! No, I haven't read I Saw Three Ships unless it's one of the ones I read long ago but don't have a copy of, but The Little White Horse is a favorite. In fact I did a post on it back on October 12, 2013. She really is my kind of author!

      Delete
  2. I adored this book! Your post makes me want to read it all over again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you love the book! And I bet someday you will reread it.

      Delete
  3. oh my. I have to read this book! I have never read it.
    as a matter of fact I thought you were at first talking about the movie that was so acclaimed last year... its title was similar I guess. I never saw that movie either!
    anyway. I'm definitely going to get The Scent of Water by Elizabeth Gouge.
    I love her descriptive ability and style! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Tam! She is your kind of British writer, I think. Please try her!

      Delete

  4. "Renewal. The goodness of God coming down like dew."
    This one, single line sums up the essence of this story so beautifully! No, I have not read this book, but such characters, writing, and your wonderful review certainly nudge me to do so! For now, I just spent an hour researching the life of the author, and came across so many interesting facts about her life, especially after she moved to Rose Cottage.

    Thank you once again for sparking my curiosity about such talented and accomplished woman writers! My morning has gotten off to a fabulous start!

    Happy Thursday, Dewena
    Poppy xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poppy, I too fall down the rabbit hole in researching something I see on a blog. And this author is as wonderful as her books. She was an amazing woman and I can picture her sitting at the tea table with you. I have her autobiography, must get it out and reread sometime.

      Delete
  5. Your review makes me want to see if this book is at the library. Or hopefully find it somewhere like a thrift store.

    I loved those last two lines you shared. "What is the scent of water?" ~~ "Renewal. The goodness of God coming down like dew."

    So beautiful and encouraging. Thanks for sharing.

    I love your table setting, photos are lovely.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lorraine! I hope you can find it sometime. I think you would like the characters in it. I'm glad you like the photos. They're from years ago at Valley View but I never used them, and I decided to moody them up a tad.

      Delete
  6. This is maybe my favourite book of all and what a pleasure to read a truly thoughtful review of it ! What a lovely copy you have ...all good thoughts to you in this time after such a painful loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Marmee! So nice to meet you and I'm happy to meet another Goudge fan, one who loves The Scent of Water. There really are so many good characters in the book, aren't there? And I didn't even touch on the main woman in it. But then I always seem to connect with secondary characters.

      Delete
  7. The Scent of Water - The goodness of God coming down like dew. Wonderful. I haven't read it and I enjoyed what you posted - the excerpt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandy! I love that the least and sometimes the least popular character in her books have redeeming qualities by the end of the book.

      Delete
  8. You always remind me of books of my past! I spent 2 years shelving books in a public library in a small town. Elizabeth Goudge was quite popular. I read A Child From the Sea. The characters' description makes me want to read The Scent of Water. The goodness of God coming down like dew is beautiful image. Dew covers the flowers and the weeds alike and gives them new life....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Madame, I love your last sentence! The flowers and the weeds alike--this is so true to Goudge's theme in so many of her books. Lovely!

      Delete
  9. I have never read Elizabeth Goudge but just put in a reserve for The Scent of Water. I so appreciate book suggestions - this sounds lovely. Thank you.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely book, Mary! I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  10. I love Goudge's books - Green Dolphin Street, The Little White Horse, The Eliot Family Trilogy, and The Scent of Water are the ones I've read so far. I plan to eventually read them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All my favorites too! Reread Rosemary Tree this month and will read Gentian Hill soon, just got it. Hers are books I don't think I could lend out for fear of not getting them back.

      It's so nice to meet another Goudge fan!

      Delete