Sunday, July 22, 2018

Distractions



I blame it entirely on distractions because it certainly couldn't be that I'm at that age where I let the tea water boil almost dry.

Oh wait, that was RH!

Or accidentally squirt ketchup into my coffee, or pour orange juice into my cereal instead of milk.

Oh wait, that was RH!

Or put dirty dishes into the fridge instead of the sink!

Oh wait, that was RH!

Or go around the house calling for James Mason when all along he's right there following along behind me.

Okay, that last one is me and I also admit to being guilty of letting the tea water boil almost dry, but I don't walk around trying to find where I laid my hammer down when its in my left hand.

But we're just distracted, that's all.

So when I made Cook's Illustrated Orange Honey Glazed Chicken and instead of it turning out all golden, like in this video.....https://www.cooksillustrated.com/videos/69-glazed-chicken-breasts

Instead of that, mine turns out like this...



How can that be when I followed all the steps perfectly, even though I had to squeeze 1 1/2 cups of orange juice when I discovered I had forgotten to put orange juice on my grocery list. But the sauce was delicious. I added 1/3 cup light corn syrup to the juice, 3 tablespoons honey, 1 tablespoon Dijon, 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar, and a few red pepper flakes. 

Then I seasoned the chicken breasts (with skin and bones) with salt and pepper and floured them and put them skin side down in my big sauté pan to brown in a little vegetable oil for about 14 minutes, turned  them and browned on the other side for about 5 minutes, then put them on a plate.



Lacking a shallot to mince, I used half a small onion and sautéd it. Oops, you were supposed to take out all but 1 teaspoon of the fat from the pan before adding the onion. Oh well, I got a lot out with a spoon as I cooked the onion. 



Maybe I did get a little distracted when I stopped to look out the kitchen window at RH watering plants, which led to him striking muscle man poses.



And I did slip out for just a few minutes to get a picture of his latest project, clearing out a messy weedy neglected spot under the kitchen window, putting down some found materials to make a spot for his grill and the bird seed can.



Well, at least that's a beginning for an outdoor cooking area here but I can already see the wheels turning in his mind on how to improve it, enlarge it. All needing discussion.

But surely I was back inside in time to add the orange juice mixture to the pan, simmering it until it was reduced to about 1 cup of syrupy glaze, about 6 to 10 minutes.

Then I added the browned chicken breasts back to the glaze, turning them with tongs to coat, leaving them skin side down in the pan.

And into the 375 degree oven the pan went.

Hmm, they do look a little darker than the video, but I'm only cooking them 15 minutes before turning them over for 15 minutes more. They would be fine.




And at the end of their cooking time I had to put the chicken back on a plate to rest and then cooked the glaze, stirring constantly for only a minute, then whisking in 2 more tablespoons of orange juice before spooning the glaze over the chicken.

But during all that oven time I was also setting the table--the simple old Fourth of July table things are still okay...




--and making a side dish of Chili-Basil Rice that was so amazing that I must put a link to it here.

https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/chili-pepper-recipes/side-dishes/chili-basil-rice/

The changes to regular cooked rice were to first sauté chopped onion and 3 Serrano peppers (from my own plant!) for 5 minutes, then stir in 1 teaspoon ground ginger.



When rice is done, stir in juice of one lime and then garnish with sliced basil leaves, extra sliced Serrano peppers, and chopped toasted peanuts. So delicious that this recipe will become a regular side dish for us, at least until I can find a non-carb side dish that tastes as amazing as this does.



Our other side dish was steamed broccoli and squash (from grandson Luke's garden), planned-over from the night before.




Even with all the distractions, the glazed chicken was marvelous! And actually, we pull the skin off the chicken before eating anyway.

Maybe next time I won't have distractions, but then again, maybe I will. Life seems to be full of them.

Here's three final July distractions for you.

A glimpse of my July calendar page, illustrated by a Kevin Dodds. I just love this one!




And I love the face of this little one who has a July birthday...



I cannot believe that she will be a first grader in a few weeks!

Wasn't it only yesterday that we took this photo of her and her daddy at Valley View?

Life is just full of wonderful distractions!