Tuesday, September 1, 2026

"I used to...."

 


Ever since I read Lee Pennock Huntington's Hill Song, I've asked RH to plant marigolds with the zinnias. She writes of these two old faithfuls still rioting in the late summer garden. And they do. 

She writes of her joy in putting small vases of them all around the house. I used to also. Now if I want flowers for the house I ask RH to go clip them because it's more difficult for me to get around on the garden paths since I use a walker to avoid more falls. 


"I used to..." How many times do I say that now and think it? Never more so than when it comes to my cooking. 

I used to be a good cook.

I used to like this recipe and that recipe. Almost all recipes.

Now I constantly find more recipes to mark off my menu options. After spending hours fixing them, only halfway garnishing them as I used to. Why do things not taste as good as they used to? Like my old favorite Salmon Mousse with Cucumber Dill Dressing. Far too rich.

Did we give it to the cats? Certainly not to BreeBree! Always more my favorite than RH's so the next day we spared Mama Cat and her kittens and dumped it in the trash can. Even the dressing I used to love where I peeled and shredded cucumbers, drained them an hour and added to the creamy dressing. Even that too rich now.

There are many other used to's.

I used to remember what I needed at the grocery store; I used to actually "go" to the grocery store.

I used to be able to start supper at 4 p.m. Now it must be started after breakfast during my most energetic part of the day. 

I used to set a pretty table every night, with real cloth napkins. Ironed cloth napkins.They're still ironed, a whole drawer full of them but they rarely leave their drawer.

My kitchen linens still do get changed seasonally. There is that. The blues and reds replaced spring linens and go up from Flag Day through July, and then August's with colors a little closer to Autumn's. And yes, the door could use a little paint, or even cleaning.

After more than a year and a half  of not blogging, I have now posted September 1, 2026 blog posts at both my blogs. Because I used to and I still want to, need to. I can do less and less these days but I miss creating a blog post. For myself, no matter how insignificant or boring they might be. No matter how much else I really ought to be doing in the house. Like dusting, something else I used to do faithfully, even with pleasure. 

I still spend an hour or more writing on my books while resting with my toes up each day. But they are books that will never be published and that is why blogging was always so rewarding to me. 

So here I go again. I don't want to say, "I used to blog."


13 comments:

  1. Thankful you have Blogged. Appreciate the updates. The aging 'thing'. Who knew it's a, Thanks Be To God ..... Our turn to figure-it-out. Live and thrive with it. God interesting in this, our last chapters.

    Even my hair makes changes without asking me, on a schedule of its own.

    Against all odds, God gifted me a kitten 2 years ago, and another kitten 3 months ago. Have had a cat since the 3rd grade. Yet never without full time school or work. Mostly retired, this life chapter a huge delight.

    Medical emergency 3 years ago, almost died 2x in hospital across weeks. Came out ' ok ' but different. Fine, glad to have it, another thanks-be-to-God.

    Love your garden, changes in cooking, family.

    With love and prayers for every good thing in your life ..... XO Tara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a gift to hear from you, Tara. I think of you often, especially when I pick up my little notebook with "Tara" written on the front that holds wise words from your blog. It sits in a small wire basket by my reading chair with other little inspirational books. After Bible and prayers I reach down and pull one up to give me a little kick-in-the-pants to get up and do something.

      I'm so sorry to hear of your health struggles 3 years ago but feel encouraged that you are facing these new chapters of life with the courage and panache of the Tara I knew. I hope to hear more of your days now!

      Sending love and prayers back to you. God bless!
      Dewena

      Delete
  2. Dewena, welcome back! You have been on my mind, as a matter of fact, I just checked in here a day or so ago! So nice to see you:)
    My homekeeping habits have changed, too. Especially with cooking. I do feel the lack of enthusiasm for preparing some of the old meals, and they just don’t appeal to me the way they used to. I have delegated cooking time to reading time. Just finished a book you may be familiar with — The Valley of Decision by Marcia Davenport. I’ve read it three times now, and I think it’s time I looked into some of her other novels. I just love her writing. Are you familiar? Any you might suggest? xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, I had to look up this book and immediately recognized the old Gregory Peck movie of it. But no, I don't think I ever read the book. I searched my library app to see if they had it. They didn't but I was able to put a tag on her Mozart one in audio which would be wonderful for me since I turn more and more to audiobooks as my vision worsens. And audiobooks or a podcast get me through cleaning chores, work becomes almost automatic as I'm listening and that can become a good thing or a bad thing, depending upon whether I have a knife in my hand or not!

      Let me know if you read another of her novels. I love finding an older author and reading everything they've written, do you? Thank you for welcoming me back to blogging!

      Delete
    2. Yes, I’ll let you know what I find. I remember watching Gregory Peck in the movie. I will have to see if I can find it again:)

      Delete
    3. I looked up where it's streaming and not free anywhere but inexpensive at Prime. I'd like to see it again too. I'm sure I watched it on AMC years ago but we don't get cable anymore. If you read the books three times it must be terrific!

      Delete
  3. Good to see you, Dewena! We're all getting older and so much has changed in our lives. Your enthusiasm for the things you can't muster the energy for now can be put into new things you CAN do. Little joys. I'm sure you have them. I miss being more energetic, too. I used to do so much! I still try! 😅

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, God bless you for your inspirational words. I know these things but forget them. Thank you so much for the reminder!

      Delete
  4. It's so good to read this post, and the one on your other blog. Aging isn't for sissies, but there is still much to enjoy in life. Simpler meals can be just as appealing, and a slower lifestyle gives time to observe the beauty all around us.
    May you find joy in blogging and connecting with others. I certainly enjoy your writings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been like a shot in the arm to read your encouraging comment, Lorrie, and the others left here for me. I don't think I realized how much I needed and missed the wisdom of my blog friends. I appreciate you and the others visiting here so much, whether they leave a comment or not. It's so nice being a part again of this blogging community.

      Delete
  5. SO good to see your blogging posts again! Made my day. The books you've been writing...are they fiction or non-fiction? Or some of each? I bet your family and friends would love reading them if you don't plan to have them published. I know *I* would certainly love to read anything you've written! Ah, aging...amazing how it takes away all the "used to's" and even how our taste buds change. I guess all we can do is go along with the flow and only do as much as we can. I love your flower combinations and how sweet your husband is to plant them for you and to clip you flowers for bouquets. Big hugs to you, sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melanie, so good to hear from you except for your comment on my other blog about your surgery tomorrow. I wrote about that there so will just answer your question here but concern about what you're facing tomorrow makes everything else seem trivial..

      I did write one big non-fiction book about Thanksgiving, my idea of a coffee table book. Ha! As if anyone but a published author or celebrity could get a coffee table book published. But I do have the pleasure of bringing it out for November each year now in the beautiful leather binder I ordered engraved. Maybe one of the grandchildren or great grandchildren will want it someday. And I've written three fiction novels, one of which I'd like to have printed for family that takes place in 1952 in Nashville. It would require too many permissions to quote lyrics of the great Hank Williams music for me to ever self-publish but it's been so much fun writing for two decades. I'm working on its 10th edit now.

      My dear friend, prayers are going up for you from me but also from Daniel. Sending love and a big hug!

      Delete
  6. It's great to see you blogging again.

    My good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete