Saturday, December 9, 2023

A Christmas Mystery: Corpus Christmas by Margaret Maron

 



I enjoy the Christmas novels of my favorite mystery writers, none more than this 1989 one by Margaret Maron who wrote mysteries from the 1980s to her last one in 2017. Do you know her work? This sentence alone from a speech she once gave should tell you why I'm a fan:

"From the beginning, I loved language, I loved words, I loved the tricks that you could play with them." (Margaret Maron)

Maron's mysteries are the proof of that, especially those of one of her two strong women sleuths, Sigrid Harald of the NYPD.


While Louise Penny's mysteries are top shelf in this bookcase, Margaret Maron's take up the entire second shelf, the hardbacks on the left about Maron's other sleuth, Deborah Knott (Judge Knott--get it?) of North Carolina, and the paperbacks on the left that are about Lieutenant Sigrid Harald.


Corpus Christmas is a beautifully written, complex novel of a mystery that weaves together the fascinating story of a family home of the late 1800s to early 1900s that is currently an art museum of works collected in Europe by the family's son, and site of where the murder takes place, along with the story of Sigrid Harald, the investigating officer, and Oscar Nauman, described as "an artist of his own time and one who isn't afraid to leave the loose ends." 


While Sigrid's art appreciation belongs with pictures that look like what they are--as in the oil painting above that sits on my living room floor during the Christmas season (a story there) that my Aunt Teenie painted for us over 50 years ago--the older man Oscar Nauman is of the persuasion that "the high purpose of art is to remind us that something is always left undone."


Just as all the words in my beautiful old Webster Universal two volume dictionary weave together a language, Corpus Christmas uses beautiful words to weave together the story of the art world of the 1800s and the 1980s and the family life of a comfortably situated New York family from the past with the unfolding modern romance of two very different people.


This murder mystery, the ending of which was a complete surprise to me, is as pretty as the old Polish Fantasia Fish Scale ornaments I've collected for years.


Leaving one only to wonder how the relationship between the very confident self-assured Oscar and the very reticent reserved Sigrid will end.


Ah, only the last book in the series will tell.





10 comments:

  1. I have not heard of this author! I loved the peek into your bookcase and seeing some of your lovely Christmas decor. That two volume dictionary is beautiful. What a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dictionaries are amazing with much more info on each word listed than usual. I found the first one at Goodwill years ago and the second one on eBay. Oddly enough there are a few pages missing in one book, left out of the printing, not torn out. Frustrating but still a treasure! Thank you, Melanie, especially since I know that mysteries are not your favorite genre!

      Delete
  2. I have ILLed it from my library. Years ago I was on mystery lists, and I heard her name a lot, but I don't think I have ever read her. There seems to be one copy in the state, so I am excited. Thank you!
    And Edwin Way Teale. I have spring, summer, and autumn books but I didn't think there was a winter one, so I shall go looking for a lovely old copy.
    Thank you for your posts on both blogs. They do me a world of good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like her as much as I do, Nan! And isn't Edwin Way Teale an amazing writer? I have Autumn too and it's the most beautiful prose. I think I like him better than any other nature writer.

      I'm wondering if my readers here are seeing pictures in my blog posts now? Today they are almost all missing on all my posts! I have no idea what to do so will just restart my computer, then sign in and out and see if that does anything. I did delete a lot of pictures from my phone but surely that didn't affect pictures already on my blog posts? There's always a tech problem!

      Delete
  3. I have never heard of Margaret Maron, but will add her to my ever-growing list of authors to look for in used bookstores. I never have much luck in searching our library system for older books; they seem to cull them quite regularly.

    Okay, I lied. I just went to look in the online catalogue and have placed a hold on Christmas Mourning. They didn't have the one you mentioned. But there are others. Yippee! A new author to explore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had forgotten about Christmas Mourning, Lorrie! I got my copy out and will put it in my Christmas stack. Maron's first book in the Judge Deborah Knott series was Bootlegger's Daughter and won both the Edgar and Anthony Award for Best Novel of 1993. While I like Sigrid a little more than Deborah, I have enjoyed both series so much.

      As I told Nan above, my pictures seem to be missing at this blog, which is weird. I'll see how it is tomorrow.

      Delete
  4. I hope you enjoy your books... it's great to hold a beautiful book in your hand. I'm currently reading Robert Seethaler, a writer from Austria. He has a pleasantly calm narrative style...
    I also wish you a lot of joy with Advent and Christmas decorations, especially your sweet Christmas tree... the Christmas tree is a MUST for us - I live in Germany - outside the house it has been shining in all its splendor in the garden since the first Advent and in We put our Christmas tree up in the room on Christmas Eve... so it stays there until January...
    I wish you a Merry Christmas.
    Viola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read more about the Seethaler book on your blog and looked it up and it does sound lovely! I know your Christmas tree must be wonderful because as my mother's family were German-Americans I knew that the Christmas tree originated in Germany. And as my father was in the Christmas tree business for decades we always had a real one. It's only been since we downsized in 2016 that we've gone to small artificial ones and I do miss a real one. I do leave the tree and other Christmas decor up through Twelfth Night, at least.

      Merry Christmas to you, Viola!

      Delete
  5. Your Christmas reading time sounds perfet, Dewena and I can imagine you getting all nestled into a favourite armchair, feet elevated, covered in a cozy blanket, your babies by your side, nodding off while you resume your adventure between the pages of your favourite books. I have never heard of this author, but her passion for words and all the potential they pack, pretty much sums up anybody who loves to read, write or act, whether it be a professional or amateur of these disciplines!

    Home Hill has such a warm and welcoming Christmas feel to it; I love the stockings by the tree, grounded by your Aunt Teenie's painting. Enjoy your reading time, my friend, amid all the gorgeous glow of the season.

    Wishing you and your family a very happy, healthy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I apologize, Poppy! I must not have been tending Across the Way lately and forgot all about coming here to reply to your sweet comment. I didn't mean that to happen! I think I've been doing too much of that reading you wrote about. Actually, you pictured it fairly closely.

      We did get Christmas 90% packed away last week, including hanging Aunt Teenie's ship painting back over the hole in the wall that used to be a large television niche years ago for a previous owner but for me is now my Christmas Forest. It has black poster paper covering the hole to keep dust out and that is covered by the painting, waiting for next Christmas. I'm sure you are completely organized now with your Christmas decor nicely packed away. And I pray for a happy and healthy 2024 for you also!

      Delete