Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Bay Leaves and Bowknots and A Doughnut for Dessert

 

Once again trying to play catchup with planned posts, here is an early March picture of the hyacinths from our garden. 

And three books I recently enjoyed.


 I featured the middle one in the stack, Confessions of A Closet Master Baker by Gesine Bullock-Prado at my other blog, Dewena's Window link here.

The second one, The Quality of Mercy (1963) is the latest book by Margaret Culkin-Browning that I've read (others here)

 Honestly, I didn't enjoy this book as much as the other ones by Culkin-Browning although I do love the writing of this author who lived at her estate called Friendly Hills in Tyron, North Carolina until her death at 92 years old. I think her later books were on social consciousness themes and they have begun to pale on me. I don't like my novels wrapped up into a social consciousness package anymore. After decades of reading serious subjects, now  in my dotage I just need to read a relaxing book. 

There was only one paragraph in this book that called my name and kind of shows what I enjoy reading now.


 Leaving America for "war-blitzed London to serve the displaced and dispossessed," Pamela falls in love with an Englishman and goes home with him to meet his mother who shows her to her bedroom. 

She closed the door of the Jade Room and left Pamela alone. It was named because of the color of the velvety rug, the faded green of the wallpaper, and the leaf green outside the opened casements carried on the harmony. Guests who surely had been comfortable here had almost worn through the pattern of bowknots and bay leaves on the linen slipcovers of the chairs, had softened the cushions on the rosewood sofas and made it necessary to mend the silk coverlet on the bed. It seemed to Pamela that the room accepted her, offered comfort.

See what I mean? Give me a whole book of an English country home and I'm happy. 

Now this last book, Full Cry (2003), beckoned to me at Goodwill because I used to read Rita Mae Brown's other Sister Jane's Virginia Jefferson Hunt club mysteries, such as Outfoxed and Hotspur. I also have read her Mrs. Murphy mystery series too.


 Brown's Sister Jane--her nickname, not her religious calling--is the 70 year old hunt master, at one with her horse and loving the hounds with a passion. 

In know, I know, the poor fox. RH and I love them too and leave food out for ours but I block that out when reading these mysteries because Rita Mae's wise foxes talk to each other and are elusive heroes in the books. The hounds and horses talk to each other too and no, it's not corny any more than her cat and dachshund talking in her other series is.  Not to Rita Mae Brown's faithful fans.

This is what draws me:

The American way of hunting, most particularly in the South, involved manners, hospitality, and strict attention to the pleasure of one's guests.

And truthfully, I enjoy the food, especially the Hunt Breakfast.

Three different types of grits, succulent ham, roast turkey, and a joint of beef crowded on the long hunt table, along with salads, breads, hot buttered carrots, squash and the ubiquitous deviled eggs. The special dessert consisted of a hot glazed doughnut with a huge scoop of vanilla ice cream plopped in the middle, fudge sauce drizzled over that.

Lord have mercy, this breakfast lover would be in line around the Jefferson Hunt Breakfast table.

If I could ride a horse in my 70s. 

If I could afford to join a Virginia hunt club. 

If it didn't involve killing foxes.

If, if, if.

Otherwise I'll sit in a sunny corner and read about Sister Jane and hope she doesn't break her neck before her next birthday.

 

"You know, Jane, I think aging is a return to your true self" her close friend Tedi tells her.

 I think so too so let the foxes talk. 

 

 



 


10 comments:

  1. I love your descriptions of these delightful books! Holy moly, that hunt breakfast! It almost reminds me of the breakfast my friend's mother made when I was a teenager living in KY. I slept overnight with my friend and when we woke up in the morning to get ready to go to school, I found the kitchen table covered from one end to the other with food, including rabbit and chicken! I was flabbergasted and didn't want to be rude, but I never really even ate breakfast as a teen. I don't remember what I ate to be polite, maybe some biscuits and gravy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that breakfast is an important meal in Kentucky and Tennessee but your friend's mother's sounds like the one the Walton women served all the adult brothers who came early one morning before they all went up the mountain to build Olivia's dream home. Remember that one? I think it was in the first pilot/movie where Patricia Neal played Olivia. And I think she was actually born in Kentucky too. Breakfast has always been my favorite meal of the day but RH would skip it if he could. Or actually he would prefer it served at brunch time so probably would line up at the hunt club breakfast.

      I imagine it was a shock to you to be offered rabbit for breakfast, Melanie!

      Delete
  2. You always introduce such interesting and unique books, Dewena, from writers I have never heard of.
    Books describing houses or food are irresistible to me, too. Those details add so much enjoyment to the story.
    That Hunt breakfast might put me in a food-induced stupor for the day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Lorrie! And I love books best where the house is a main character!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leaving another text here as Google seems to have signed me out of my other blog again. It happens often and sometimes leaving a comment here helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No that didn't work. Will try something else!

      Delete
  5. How pretty your hyacinths are, Dewena, and the scent must be equally heavenly! They look so lovely in those vases. They'd be perfect in the Jade Room, don't you think, to spruce up all those faded greens! I love that passage, and like you and Lorrie, really enjoy imagining beautifully decorated rooms or gardens from an author's detailed and eloquent description. Having said that, being a 'visual' person, the gorgeous photos and videos I see on IG and YouTube instantly provide me with such spaces, thus making me rather lazy, I guess. The same goes for food pics, except that I have been inspired many, many times to actually try new recipes, which
    get me into the kitchen, excitedly creating, and then indulging in something scrumptious that was only 'made' of words, a few minutes before.

    And speaking of food, I think the only thing I could manage to digest of the Hunt Breakfast, so early in the morning, would be the hot glazed doughnut, drizzled with fudge sauce, sans the ice cream - too rich and sweet even for my sweet tooth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, the hyacinths in the Jade Room, I like that! I believe the Hunt Breakfast always comes after the Hunt so appetites are probably bit by then. I can't imagine having a big breakfast before riding, and at 70 I think Jane would be needing to find a bathroom on the trail if she had eaten very much earlier. I speak from experience! And like you, I always find something on Instagram or YouTube that I want to cook or to rearrange in a room. Such a mixed blessing to check both each day--lots to inspire and far too many minutes given to both1

      Delete
  6. Stopped here to mention the beautiful photos speaking of English country sides I love ACorn TV - a lot of detective and other kinds of stories that come out of England, New Zealand, Ireland, etc. The countrysides are always so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Sandy! I'll take the Brits detective shows anytime over ours here. Except for Jesse Stone, I did love him!

      Delete