Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Happy Candlemas Day

 

I've saved this glorious picture for years now, meaning to use it on Candlemas Day. RH took it at a restaurant in Nashville one special winter day. The restaurant was Fifth and Taylor and we had Sunday brunch with our son Zack and the young woman who is now our daughter-in-law, another reason this picture is special to me.

Even though I love Groundhog Day and we always watch the movie of the same name then, I like to remember February 2nd as more than that. The day that so many churches across the world remember the Feast of the Presentation of Jesus Christ, some bringing their candles to be blessed on that day. 

Some observers leave their Christmas decorations up through this day, especially their Nativity scene. I wrote about this two years at Dewena's Window and felt comfort in keeping our Christmas decorations up that long.

Not this year, when I began storing them away after New Year's Day. I was late getting out on our front porch to undecorate but after that thought that everything was completely stored away.

Until I sat down at my desk the other day and saw this picture of the Holy Family that I gratefully pounced on in Goodwill years ago. Someone had not only beautifully cross stitched it but had it framed and triple matted at a local shop. 

 


Maybe the reason I hadn't noticed it was that my desk was piled high with papers. When I cleared my desk I decided to leave the picture up through Candlemas Day, and maybe even beyond. 

 

 

I wish I had planned ahead to have the traditional potato pancakes for supper tonight but my menu is already set. 

But I will burn candles today, although that is something I do almost every day. Here is one for my desk, a gift from my daughter.



It's The Writer Candle by Fly Paper and has scents of  "Amber, Earthy Aroma With Balsalm, And Fresh Spices". 

I now feel inspired!