Saturday, April 25, 2020

Swim, By Golly

Have you cooked any meals during this Safer At Home time that left you unimpressed? I have. Most of mine have been well thought out and planned because there is no chance of saying "Honey, I don't feel like cooking tonight so can we go out to eat?"
 

Although there was that lunch I had where I microwaved a package of Seeds of Change brown rice and topped it with a can of sardines, mashed it all up and stirred in green Tabasco sauce and lemon juice when there were no leftovers from supper the night before. I got it down.

Canned sardines--that ever-present help in slight emergencies and when the imagination runs low.
 Richardson Wright 
The Bed-Book of Eating and Dining (1943)

I agree with my hero most of the time. I use the best canned sardines I can find in an Orzo Sardine Salad, Rotini and Sardine Pasta Salad, in cream cheese spreads, and with Trader Joe's wonderful Garlic Basil Linguini with capers, scallions, chicken broth and herbs. And I love grilled fresh sardines. But I hope never to repeat that one quick lunch.
 
One night a couple of weeks ago, totally uninspired for supper plans, I stared into my pantry (a former coat closet that RH turned into a pantry a few days after we moved in) and hoped it would send me a message. I spotted a box of macaroni and remembered a recipe idea that I had recently come across in another one of my old Richardson Wright books.  

Richardson is my man from the early mid-century and I remembered he had a frugal recipe called Swim, By Golly that called for macaroni and ground beef--or hamburg steak as he called it. I loved the By Golly part of the name because I grew up saying it and one day in 5th grade got reprimanded for it by my teacher. Major blush that I still remember.

The Swim, By Golly looked nice when I dished it up for supper with some steamed broccoli and Bridgeford rolls.

The only clues Richardson had given me for his red-haired Texas sister's Swim, By Golly was:


Hamburg steak cooked with a rich and spicy sauce served on a big round platter on a bed of macaroni. It is, as you can readily appreciate, a simple dish, inexpensive and filling."
Richardson Wright
A Small House and A Large Garden (1924)
 



I chopped an onion and garlic and sautéed it in olive oil, added 1 pound of lean ground beef and browned it. 

I added salt and pepper, cumin, and oregano, red pepper flakes, a can of Muir Glenn fire roasted crushed tomatoes and cooked it for 10 minutes, then added some Worcestershire sauce, a dollop of Calabrian Chilies in Oil, beef stock, red wine and minced parsley and let it simmer about an hour. I cooked the macaroni (the whole box, big mistake) and stirred it in with some of the pasta water. 




It should have at least been okay, but it wasn't. We were hungry so ate it and I saved the leftovers for lunch the next day, thinking it would improve with age. It didn't and by then the macaroni had absorbed even more liquid and felt like giant pasta shells in my mouth. Trash can time.

Richardson, I know you were Editor-in-Chief of House & Garden magazine for half a century and had impeccable taste in house and garden and wine, and every other recipe of yours that I've tried was delicious--not to mention that I simply adore you--but this recipe is not a keeper.

My dear small group of readers of Across the Way, have all your meals during this time at home been yummy or have you had any failures? It's okay if you tell me all your meals have been award-winning. 

You won't be able to see me crying here.

11 comments:

  1. dare I admit to you? I have never eaten a sardine in my life!
    I used to watch my dad eat them right out of their little roll topped flat can!
    sometimes he would have them with brown mustard and plain soda crackers.
    and sometimes he would just eat them with no frills. lol.
    I could never get past their smell. he told me I didn't know what I was missing!
    and I would NEVER make you cry on purpose! I pretty much LIVE on comfort food!
    I could and often do feast on just ONE thing! leftover cold lasagna. or a bowl of vegan chili with beans over a buttered corn muffin. the list of uninspired meals goes on! XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My father would eat sardines on soda crackers too! I can't remember if he put mustard on them but I think I remember him topping it with hot sauce.

      Your chili over a corn muffin sounds delicious, Tam! I must remember that.

      Delete
  2. Epic failure - Easter quarantine supper. We had a rotisserie chicken from Sam's. Those are always good. We found a box of instant mashed potatoes in the pantry and canned green beans. We have only used the instant potatoes as an ingredient in other recipes - never by themselves. Well, let me tell you - they were awful by themselves! They didn't taste like real food. And no matter how much I spiced up the green beans they were awful too. I have had airline meals that were better. This was Franken-food. The next day I drove down to my local Dairy Queen drive-in and bought a hamburger combo (the Hunger-Buster) to exorcise the memory of that awful meal. The combo was great, but I can still remember that terrible meal. Maybe another combo is needed.😋

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Briana, now I don't feel quite so bad about our own Easter supper! Thank you for being so honest because mine was such a flop. I wish I'd thought about a Dairy Queen the next day!

      Delete
  3. Oh, trust me, we all have these cooking failures! I always feel so bad when they happen. My hubby is such a good sport plus he's not at all a picky eater, so he even eats my dishes when I say they're horrible and didn't turn out, lol. A few days ago, I made a pot of soup with bulk Italian sausage, fennel, carrots, onions and ditalini pasta. First mistake was having hubby pick up the sausage at the grocery store instead of the butcher. It was Johnsonville sausage and it was the worst sausage we've ever had. Bad quality - fatty and chewy. Secondly, I forgot to cook the pasta separately and add it to the individual soup bowls. Instead, I cooked it in the soup and the leftovers then become mushy.

    For what it's worth, your hamburger macaroni dish looks and sounds good! I'm sorry it wasn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melanie, I think I should have served the sauce on top of the cooked pasta as written in the book, not stirred it in. Yes, that mushy taste!I'm sure not many of your recipes are failures.

      Delete
  4. Your food styling of this macaroni and meat sauce dish plus sides, looks absolutely mouthwatering - so, at least you got a fab photo, out of it; it wasn't a complete failure! If you hadn't told us that this plate of pasta was not up to par, just reading about the spicy medley of aromas would have inspired me to give it a try. Now, I totally trust your taste buds, as you have been whipping up gourmet goodness for decades, so I'm sorry it was a disappointment, especially since it did require quite a few ingredients and a good helping of elbow grease!

    At the moment, I can't recall a recent dinner disaster, but I am intimidated by yeast, which has stopped me from trying to bake my own bread, something I've been wanting to do, even before the lockdown - evidently, everybody's baking all kinds of loaves and loving their result!

    My friend, Elpida, has been baking her own bread for years, so when I told her about my fear of the fizzy stuff, she said as soon as the lockdown is lifted, I must go over to her house to bake (and break!) bread together. I'm looking forward to it. Do you bake your own bread? I love sourdough, focaccia and rye, but I think I'll start with a basic recipe first.

    Happy Monday, and here's to recipes that pleasantly surprise us!
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poppy, I can't imagine yeast breads intimidating you! I don't make bread and rolls, etc. much anymore but I made them for decades when my hands were up to all the kneading. I used to make some of the best sourdough Italian bread. My mother made amazing sourdough bread for decades.

      Does the higher altitude of your kitchen cause a problem in bread making?

      Delete
  5. The recipe sounds as though it would be tasty. I love sardines but my husband does not like the smell of fish so much. Canned sardines on toast would do me in a pinch. I have not had any recent failures. Each week, I am learning to make a different kind of risotto. We've had Italian sausage and roasted tomato risotto, chicken and mushroom risotto and tonight, beef and mushroom risotto. This is a good time to try new food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your risotto sounds so good! I order it at restaurants but I've never made it at home. It always scared me a little. Maybe one night I'll attempt it!

      Delete
  6. Hehhhhh...... We are so very burnt out, on "What will we eat tomorrow???" that it is pitiful. At first, it was almost fun, to deal with eating healthy with what I had accumulated.

    Yes, I was one of those "Just In Case It's Awful" women, who make it our business, to stock up ahead of time, over time. And our Dear Daughter In Law next door did also. And glad we were!!!!!!!! When all the silly people, began stripping grocery shelves clean, when they finally realized... *There Was A Problem*! Hahhhhhh....

    But by now, it is soooo hard to plan ahead. 'Ahead' meaning, the night before!!! Yes, we have supplies to choose from. But No, it's not fun anymore.

    And yes, there have been some not-wins cooked here!!!!!!! Pork comes to mind, because we don't agree, on how long to cook it.

    Oh and yes, we both cook here. That's why the "we"......

    ReplyDelete