Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Carking Cares






I've turned back to my favorite comfort novels during this unsettling time and to favorite garden and food writers.

In one of my Richardson Wright books the longtime editor-in-chief of House & Garden Magazine writes of admiring one breed of wine enthusiasts, "a small coterie of rare souls, who write in true humility, men endowed with the sure and penetrating touch of the mysteries."

One he quotes often in his books is André Simon, often enough that I squealed with delight when I found an old book written by Simon in a thrift store. More on that another time, possibly, but here is the quote that Wright, a layman Episcopalian, was taken by:

Wit is not sold in bottles over the counter. Wit is in us as the spark is in the flint; wine strikes the flint of the intelligence and sparks cheer in the gloom; but it must be flint, not chalk, if there are to be sparks. Nor will any quantity of the best wine remove carking cares. Carking cares are a physic trouble not of the body but of the soul, and the soul liveth by the finest wine of all, a wine that is a food with a drug action a hundredfold greater than that of the best red or white wines; its name is Faith.

I had never heard the term carking cares but found that it is a Middle English term that means "to be burdened with trouble; worry."

Anyone experienced that recently? I have.

Those that be are searching for cures right now but maybe AndrĂ© Simon is right and the cure for our present personal carking cares is faith. 

I've known that all along and consider faith as my personal spiritual gift but it sure is good to be reminded, daily and often, especially at 3:30 a.m.

Know what I mean?
 

 

12 comments:

  1. I've never heard this term either, but I love your thoughts on this. Thank you for sharing your uplifting post and words of wisdom. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Melanie, but oh how my wisdom slips in and out from behind the clouds all too often.

      Delete
  2. I've been relying on the updates from our governor and find that I gauge my spirits accordingly. Until yesterday, I didn't feel any sense of despair, but then it hit me last evening. I am so disturbed by all the conflicting reports and advice. With that, I've retreated back to staying informed, but pulling those I love in close, even if it's in thought and phone calls rather than physical closeness. Thank you for a lovely post, Dewena.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, it is good to know that my own experiences lately are shared and probably universal. I could hardly tear myself away from the news for days until I realized there had to be a limit.

      Delete
  3. Yes, oh yes, there has to be a limit to listening/watching too much of what the media is saying about this disease. Too much causes dis-ease, stress, which in turn causes diseases. Oh how we get attacked in the middle of the night with fear, worry, what-ifs.

    What a great find about 'carking cares' and that the cure is faith. Faith in God brings strength in times of trouble. He didn't promise we wouldn't have troubles, but He did promise to be with us 'through' them. May our faith be strengthened, may we see the beauty in each day.

    Love, hugs & prayers ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is such a beautiful comment, Lorraine. And I know you have found out these truths 'through' the sad times in your life, which makes your words mean even more to me. I love your last sentence especially and pray those same things for you.

      Delete
  4. yes! I know what you mean.
    I have never heard of Carking Cares!
    times are bad.
    still... I CANNOT imagine going through this without the internet.
    on so many levels. the ability to strengthen each other's faith...
    and humor... and news... good or bad.
    in the end it is all simply LIFE. and to be lived the best way we can.
    and... just going over to the side bar and seeing those two little faces
    peering back at me! THAT is medicine to me! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tell them all the time that their Auntie Tam loves them!

      I too am thankful for the ability to feel connected through the internet and I think we realize that even more the last couple of weeks. Good things do come out of hard times!

      Delete
  5. love this - and yes Faith - knowing all will be well! Glad to read this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandy, and I'm sending my best to you, so far across the country from me!

      Delete
  6. What a beautifully expressed belief; it is so TRUE! Like you, I find solace and serenity in faith, when my soul is struggling with fear, anxiety, or sadness - cerebral scares or carking cares - who knew?! And yes, Dewena, it can be in the wee hours of the night - but these days, also in pure daylight, with our world facing so much uncertainty. Quiet time, to pray, I find, is vital, for my soul's survival.

    Stay safe and healthy, sweet friend!
    Poppy xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poppy, my not having replied to your thoughtful and beautifully expressed comment is a sure sign that the last few days have gotten to me--daylight hours as well as during the dark of the night. When we're teetering on the edge of who knows what I have to constantly remind myself that there is One who does know what is coming. And then I just do something. Keeping busy has been my best tactic just as yours was that Sunday that you cooked all day. Bless you, my dear friend!

      Delete