Thursday, December 5, 2019

Of Nativity Scenes and Other Things



This was my favorite Nativity scene, one of the last ones at Valley View, that I ever built over many years. It was such a pleasure to arrange, almost like my own little spiritual journey. 

The Baby Jesus, with Mary and Joseph, were figures I bought one day after Christmas many years ago for half price, standing in line to pay for them for an hour, I kid you not. All the other figures were from thrift stores, collected over the years.

There was even an elephant because I loved it so.

The orange, blue and cream silk fabric had a sentimental attachment too. It had served many years before as RH's "Pharaoh" costume when he went to a Bible costume party as Yule Brynner as the Ten Commandments pharaoh Ramses, a sarong-type skirt wrapped around him.

Our daughter Christy went as Miriam, carrying baby Moses in a basket, our own baby playing Moses. 



Last Christmas was my last time to arrange my own little crѐche, this time here at Home Hill in a niche in the wall that once must have held a large television. I keep my Aunt Teenie's ship painting over the hole in the wall now but it was a perfect place for these beloved figures. 

In a desire to simplify, I've shared and donated many of our Christmas things these last few years and this was the year to pass on our Nativity figures to our granddaughters. I hope they have lots of fun arranging all our funny little thrift store figures.

Do any of you display your own Nativity scene? Do you put them all out at once or hide the Babe until Christmas morning? Do your Wise Men stand afar off as they travel towards Bethlehem? Do you have special traditions for putting up your own Nativity scene?

In an old Good Housekeeping magazine in my collection, December of 1951, they wrote of beautiful Italian actress Pier Angeli saying she would miss many things about her home in Italy that Christmas in Hollywood, including "the Capanna, or Bethlehem scene, her architect father designed. Each year he added to it, until the Angeli Capanna was the most beautiful in the neighborhood."

I wish there had been a picture of her family's Bethlehem scene. I meant to include a picture of Pier here because she was so lovely but instead will include a link to her life here for anyone interested. I can't resist telling you about one fascinating bit I read...did you know that she was the love of James Dean's life? 

Oops, there I go, getting off subject, the subject being Nativity scenes, crѐches, or Bethlehem scenes.

What do you call them?


 

8 comments:

  1. Your nativity scenes are beautiful. I have never done a large one as we've never had the room in this small house. Many years ago when my kids were little I had a tiny "cheap" one that was just an all-in-one figurine. I think I had picked it up at Goodwill. I don't have it anymore...like you, I've donated so much of my Christmas decor. I purge more and more every year.

    Can you believe I had never heard of Pier Angeli? Maybe because I didn't grow up in that era. I do know who James Dean is though. ;-) What a tragic ending to both their young lives. I found this web site with some beautiful photos of them. I thought you'd like to see them, if you haven't already:

    https://www.vintag.es/2018/10/james-dean-and-pier-angeli-1950s.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melanie, I'm so glad you gave the link to this story and the many photos of Angeli and Dean, many more of the couple than my link had. She looks so radiantly happy in most of them, doesn't she? Theirs was a sad story of two talented people whose lives ended far too soon. I remember being captivated by her when I was a teenager, I think because of her name as much as her movies.

      The story in my link said that in her late 30s she could no longer find roles and it made me thankful that actresses today are able to find good roles much later in life, although I'm sure not as easily as male actors do. It also said that she died of anaphylatic shock after a doctor gave her a tranquilizer. Whereas your link made it seem more like she died at her own hands. I wonder which is correct? Regardless, such a sad young ending for both of them.

      I can't help thinking about her family in Italy. Her architect father may very well have still been alive at her death.

      Oddly enough, I was watching, for about the hundredth time, the movie Giant on TCM while I was working on this post. Reminded again that Dean was nominated posthumously for his role in Giant.

      Now I've got to go cheer myself up!

      Delete
  2. Both your Nativity scenes are beautiful, Dewena, each set in a specially selected spot in both your lovely homes. Of course, the coloured fabric that is lined with so many sweet, family memories of Christmases Past, is the perfect foundation!

    We have had different arrangements, too, over the years; the collection consists of pieces from my childhood, as well as those I have bought. In the end, whether they were found at a Christmas bazaar by family members or given as precious gifts by friends, they all represent the loving presence of our Lord.

    Pier Angeli, eh? Never heard of her, but you got me very curious, so, before I set out for Across the Way, I visited the pages of Google, and Wikipedia, and read up on the Italian beauty and her bitter end. Seems like Hollywood was a much smaller place, back then, with so many stars dating each other,, doesn't it?

    Hope you're keeping cozy during this holiday season, enjoying this year's Nativity scene, perfectly placed in that empty space, soon to be filled with your Auntie Teenie's seascape!

    Love,
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Poppy, and I would love to see your own Nativity scene, also to know what they are called in Crete, if you read this.

      Pier's story is so sad. I wish I could go back in time and tell her that life could be wonderful growing older even if she never made another movie. I would also try to tell her to look for a good man, too.

      Poppy, actually I have propped Aunt Teenie's seascape on the floor by my tree, partial picture of it to appear in my next post. And the niche in the wall turned out to be the perfect spot for something else, post on that to appear later this month either here or at the Window.

      Stay tuned and love to you!

      Delete
    2. In Greek, we say, 'the Scene of the Birth', or simply, 'The Birth'.

      Thankfully, things have changed and are still changing for women in all kinds of careers, but your advice would have been precious to poor Pier, Dewena, no doubt.

      Well, here goes the second round of me wondering what you have now placed in that very versatile niche!!

      Love YOU!

      Delete
    3. Oh, I love that--'the Scene of the Birth'! I'm sure it sounds lovely spoken in Greek too. I always love it when you write about the beautiful Christmas and Easter spiritual celebrations there, as well as the feast days.

      I'll try to get a picture soon of the newest niche use and send it to you! Now you get to sleep soon, dear friend!

      Delete
  3. wow I love to come here and read your posts - i got behind recently on all blogs. I really enjoyed this and the nativity scenes. Lovely wonderful post. I'm going to check her out and no I didn't know that she was James deans' love

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so nice, Sandy! And very sweet to read back to this old post! I get behind on blog reading too but am trying to do better now.

    ReplyDelete