Friday, July 19, 2019

Once Again




Once again I've been a blogging dropout.

Why is it so hard to write that first post back once you've been absent a while? 

For me it's partly because I begin to wonder if my world is too small to be of interest to others? 

As I looked through pictures trying to think up a post, it seemed that so many of them were of food I had cooked. Why do I do that? It's not as if I were a food blogger or invented my own recipes. I guess it's just that I like to cook and take pictures of it. And I forget to take pictures of other things. 

I forgot to take even one picture of the beautiful hydrangea arrangement I made in RH's mother's amber glass bowl when it was at that perfect week in early July when many of the white blossoms had turned that perfect shade of green. Or of my house when it was all cleaned up for company. And then forgot to take pictures of our company.

I even forgot to take pictures of our darling granddaughters when they visited us for the Fourth weekend. Thankfully, their parents shared some of their own with me.


 Their father took the one above of both of them and their mother took this one below of little sister perched on our garden rooster. Oh my goodness, are they not adorable!


I did take a picture of their daddy with my own two babies.



 But completely forgot to get a picture of the girls' beautiful mother who helped me cook our 4th of July dinner. The Copper River Salmon with lemon, butter, caper sauce was delicious and here's a link to that recipe.

We didn't smoke the salmon outside the way we used to for so many years. The smoker is still in the barn waiting to be set up somewhere when RH figures out a place for it. He wants just the right spot as the bar was set pretty high at his outdoor kitchen in our picnic shelter at Valley View.


An outdoor cooking station here is something he's still mulling over. He did manage to finish installing the tiles on our larger patio this summer, with the help of a grandson. I must get pictures of that soon.

Now that I have managed to post again here at Across the Way maybe the next posts will come easier. Dewena's Window will have to wait longer. I'm going into my second week fighting a bad summer cold and after trying to ignore it in hopes it will go away, I think I'm going to give into it and take a few days to read and rest and maybe come up with some ideas for future posts.

One thing I know for sure is that I'm not getting back out in public again until I'm better. A trip to a local antique store two days ago where a coughing spell overtook me convinced me that they thought I had the Bubonic plague. 

I did manage to thrust two books at RH as I rushed out the door, gasping "pay for them."

The owner of this little shop did not say "Y'all come back now."



 My favorite part of fixing salmon is having leftovers to use up in delicious salads. Here was a simple one I threw together of arugula, chopped celery and scallions, the salmon and sliced warm boiled new potatoes dressed with a lemon/red wine vinegar, Maile mustard, S & P, and olive oil.

Oh my goodness, it was delicious! RH thought so too.

Even though not a food blogger I must post pictures of food I cook because it is such a big part of my small life. If I ever ride a camel in front of the pyramids of Egypt as a friend of mine did this summer, I will post pictures of that. Until then, you're stuck with my food pics!

As long as I can intersperse them with ones of our two princesses, maybe that will be okay? Because you know I like to see your food pics too. 

And next will be a post on some of my summer reading choices.


Remember when Oprah had a show episode called--

                            "Whatcha' cooking, Nashville?"

Where she surprised people on a street in Nashville on a Saturday by knocking at their door with her film crew?

I loved that show! I couldn't believe that only one or two families invited her in, most didn't. 

So I'm knocking at your door and asking "Whatcha' cooking, friends?   And whatcha' reading?"

13 comments:

  1. I've been a blogging dropout, too, Dewena. I'll get back to it at some point, but for now my summer holds much of the same things as yours -- cooking, books and grandkids. I found a new recipe that has been my go-to for summer company that I will share when I DO get back to blogging -- a pork loin with a delicious rub, sliced and served on a citrus salad. For reading? I finished a Kate Morten novel, and am now going to re-read one of my all time favorites: The Valley of Decision by Marcia Davenport.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you put it that way, Karen,--cooking, books and grandkids--it sounds like a mighty nice world after all. Oh, I will be watching for that recipe! It sounds delicious! I keep meaning to try Kate Morten, her titles sound intriguing. Now I have to go look up Valley of Decision.

      Delete
    2. Karen, I looked up Valley of Decision and it sounds just the kind of book I love, family sagas. Put an inexpensive copy in my Amazon basket! I don't believe I've ever seen the movie that one reviewer said was on TCM. Have you? I love Greer Garson and Gregory Peck so will watch for it.

      Delete
    3. I did see the movie! It was lovely, (Gregory Peck and Greer Garson -- Yes!) although it only covers a small portion of the book. I hope you enjoy the novel, Dewena, I've read it a couple of times and it is a favorite. My favorites of Kate Morten are The Forgotten Garden and The Winter Garden.

      Delete
    4. I'm writing down those two titles. She had so many to choose from so it's good to have you recommend your favorites. Anything with Garden in the title is a plus with me. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. First of all I hope that your cold gets better and you start feeling great again. I completely understand about those blogging blues. I have them too. There are times you are so busy living your life that you forget to document it. Oh well. I am so delighted to see those darling girls. It’s fun to see how hey have grown. And even though you think your life isn’t interesting enough for blogging sometimes I really enjoy checking in with my friend and seeing all the things your are doing with your loving family. These blogs have a way of connecting us as friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blogging blues, they are real! And then there comes a day when we just have to check up on each other and after visiting we wonder why we waited so long. Thanks for the get well wishes, Peggy!

      Delete
  3. It is always such a pleasure reading your blog posts, Dewena! I can only speak for myself, but I love blog posts that talk about things such as food/recipes and books. Gardens, too. Or any home decor or pets. Intersperse that with random pictures of family - especially cute grandchildren - and I'm in blog reader heaven.

    Your salmon salad looks absolutely delicious and so healthy, too. It's just too bad I don't like salmon, ha ha! I wish I did because I know it's very good for you. I'm afraid I'm just not much of a fish eater. And then you get to the creatures with shells or even worse, things such as octopus, oysters, scallops...it actually makes my stomach lurch to even think about or picture these creatures. Just one of my quirks. ;-) I've always been that way, even as a child. I remember going out to eat with my best friend one time and she ordered shrimp. When it came to the table and I saw it and smelled it, I had to run to the bathroom and I threw up! Thus all said, my hubby loves any kind of fish and seafood and we just might be going out for that for his birthday next week! I'm fine with some kind of mild white fish, such as Grouper. I can handle that once in a blue moon. ;-)

    I wish we had room for a smoker and more of an outdoor kitchen. We have a small yard and a small patio, so all we have room for is our classic Weber grill. I know RH is very handy and will figure out something to make room for that fabulous smoker.

    I am so sorry to hear you have such an awful cold. Did you catch it from one of your granddaughters? Definitely a good time to be resting up and reading those wonderful books. Can't wait to hear about what you're reading. I have discovered several authors through you where I've collected some of their books and can't wait to indulge. My problem is - too many books, too little time! Which gives me an idea for a blog post...I've been MIA, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Melanie, and nope, didn't catch this from anyone I know of, everyone else is well. I did start on an allergy med the other day to see if that might help. I'm giving it another week or so before calling the doctor. And it is a good excuse to slow down and rest and read and just enjoy my pets' company.

      I am so sorry you don't like salmon! I honestly think I could have it 4 or 5 nights a week if I could get it wild caught at a reasonable price. But I think I'm going to have to fix chicken tomorrow night or RH will start swimming upstream in rebellion!

      Delete
  4. How pretty are those princesses!! I'm sure they had a fun and fabulous time with you and RH; they look so happy!

    Dewena, like Melanie, I also am not a fan of salmon, which is strange because I love tuna - canned, that is. I think it might have something to do with a very bad reaction I had to it more than 20 years ago, although I'm not sure the salmon, itself, was to blame.

    But, your salad certainly sounds delicious and refreshing! I love all the ingredients and I can see how they might bring out the best in the fish!

    So sorry to hear about your summer cold; that coughing sounds wicked! Hope you are feeling better.

    Enjoy your summer reading! I'm looking forward to reading your reviews!

    Happy weekend, my friend,
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy weekend to you, dear Poppy! I hope it is full of good food and good times in your beautiful country!

      Delete
  5. For someone who couldn't think of what to blog i loved reading this and your granddaughters are adorable. I don't cook much anymore but I can appreciate someone who does and posts their photos. My husband does all the cooking nowadays and he is a good cook. I do take photos of his dishes sometimes. I do hope you get to ride a camel, lol. And outdoor kitchen...wow, takes me back to when I owned a house and we had a really cool one outside. Every once in awhile I look at the pictures and wish I still owned a house so we could do things we would like to do ...but for now we will rent so we can get out of dodge when the police come looking for us... which I can't imagine why they would, lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That'll be the day, Sandy, me on a camel! You're the one likely to do that and your camera clicking away and paintbrushes dabbing in pots of pain to record it all!

      Delete