Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Hello Again!



It's already been a week since there's been a post here so I'm leaving a quick one now and will be back for my usual end of the month post. 

Christmas has begun to appear in our home but I do resist showing it at Across the Way until December. But more and more I want to deck the halls early to allow for that goal I have each December, that of taking time to follow the Star.




This old star, above, reminds me daily during December to make time for that. It's over 60 years old and was a part of my Christmas as a child. My mother presented me and my sisters with a few precious objects of our childhood Christmases many years ago and this star became mine.

It's darkened with age and the 1958 silver golf trophy beside it darkens with tarnish constantly. I polished some other pieces of silver the other day and then tackled this big piece and ended up with a painful shoulder ever since then, even with calling upon RH to finish polishing the base.

It simply had to be polished to hold the amaryllis bulb I ordered from White Flower Farm. I've since discarded the ugly Spanish moss that was draped over the bulb, realizing that half of the beauty is seeing the beautiful large green bulb. RH said he will dig up a few patches of green moss to put on the dirt instead. 

An amaryllis bulb from White Flower Farm was always an early Christmas gift from RH each year at Valley View. And I faithfully followed instructions for bringing it back to bloom the following year. At one time I had six amaryllis re-blooming at one time, before Valentine's Day. It's been three years since we've treated ourselves to one from our favorite garden catalogue so I hope this one thrives.




The large south-facing window over our kitchen sink is perfect for plants and I hope it will be sufficient for the large rosemary plant that Zack and Courtney gave me this week. I've wanted one for ages so was excited to get this.

I've never tried to overwinter rosemary so I googled it and think I know how to take care of it, although there were warnings that rosemary grown for the Christmas houseplant market sometimes doesn't do well.

Time to put on some Christmas music, sing along  and get busy. 


It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.....🎵