Thursday, September 14, 2017

Neighbors & Squash Casserole


We have the best neighbors.

Glen brought us a sack of late summer garden gifts that became our whole supper.....

           with the addition of a pot of pinto beans.

The squash became a casserole, a recipe I usually only make for Thanksgiving Day.





There was just enough okra for fried okra for two.




Although we even finished off this large pan of okra earlier in the season from RH's brother Bill's garden. What can I say? We love okra! And I chop a green tomato in it if I have one.



Which reminds me, I've always fried okra in a black iron skillet until this summer when I read never to do that. What heresy was this? But I tried using my All-Clad pans for it and it does keep a prettier color.



Glen's cherry tomatoes became a small salad for us, combined with jalapeno and herbs from my kitchen porch garden, and a scallion.

And there we had the kind of supper that RH and I both love.



Thank you, neighbor!


"The impersonal hand of government can never
replace the helping hand of a neighbor."
Hubert H. Humphrey

I've heard and seen so many stories of neighbors helping neighbors after Hurricanes Harvey and Irma struck. This may be the saving grace during the coming difficult weeks for those who try to rebuild their houses and their lives. I think Hubert would approve.

Just in case, and to save it for the family cookbook a son and daughter-in-law requested from me several years ago and that I might actually pull together some day, here is my recipe for Squash Casserole.

1 1/2 pounds yellow squash, washed, ends cut off and sliced. Cook in salted water, 
          drain and mash.

1 onion, chopped and sauteed in butter till soft.

Mix onion into 1 can of cream of chicken soup and 1 can cream of celery soup.
     [I know, no one admits to cooking with Campbell soups anymore.]

Add 1 tiny jar of pimento and stir into squash.

Stir in grated cheddar cheese, however much you want.

Add 1 cup of sour cream.

Stir in 1/2 small package Pepperidge Farm Herb Seasoned Stuffing.

Pour into casserole dish and top with remainder of the Pepperidge stuffing.

Top with pats of butter and sprinkle with paprika.

Bake at 350 for 35 minutes or more.


2 comments:

  1. I just love this post!
    the thoughts. the smells from the kitchen. the tastes.
    the memories (especially the pinto beans and fried okra!) bob was always in heaven. me too.
    and the casserole recipe ... even I might try that! sounds divine!
    I just love casseroles. I never tire of them. XOXO♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every dish looks delish! You created so many tasty treats with your sweet and thoughtful neighbour's late summer garden gifts. We've also had a bounty of squash, this summer which beautifully cooked up in Spanish omelettes, baked in ratatouille and roasts or dusted with flour and deep fried as an appetizer - all scrumptious.

    I love the quote, so true.

    xoxo
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete