Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Rain Drenched Geraniums



"I think most people run after things not worth having:

a man can be richest who chooses what others leave."

David Grayson

Rain drenched geraniums that are never going to look the same. I've always clipped them off and tossed them in the trash because they're never going to open fully.

Not like the blooms on the pot of pink geraniums that cheered me up at my kitchen sink all winter.




I find it kind of wonderful how one small pink geranium plant, rescued from November frost, brought so much cheer. There were only two weeks when it didn't bloom and I watched for new buds with anticipation.




While all was dismal outside, and in my heart, I didn't have to buy flowers at Publix for some cheer.




Even the leaves were pretty, sparkling in a certain light.




But these rain drenched geranium blooms wouldn't have ended up in a vase if I hadn't seen a post on Facebook of a designer who clipped dying flowers and twigs from his garden to bring inside. And he left them there a long time, seeing beauty where others don't.

So there I was one morning last week after days of rain when the pink geranium basket outside my kitchen window no longer looked as beautiful as it does in this picture.




Remembering the designer on FB--wish I could remember his name--I clipped them off but brought them inside, a vase for the bathroom, in top picture, and one for the living room with spent stalks of blue salvia that I clipped too.




Leaving me to wonder what else I normally toss away without thought? How much beauty do I miss even when it's in plain sight?