Friday, January 19, 2018

Over the Moon Chocolate Pie

Christmas was a blur to me after losing Otis and Milo and being sick myself so long.

I'm just now starting to play catchup.

I hope to post about our new dachshunds 
on Dewena's Window soon.

I feel badly that I've totally ignored the Window
but the good news is that Bree and Mason
are busy writing it for me.

Before all of Christmas escapes me,
I want to show a pie I made,
the only baking I did for Christmas.




It was from Southern Living magazine
and was called Over the Moon Chocolate Pie.

They based in on our state favorite--Moon Pies.

It calls for a Marshmallow Meringue topping and
I totally goofed it up.

The recipe said to cook the egg whites
(in a double boiler) only until the sugar dissolved.

I'm paranoid about raw eggs so cooked it and cooked it...

There were no raw eggs in my meringue,
but it was like eating saltwater taffy,
yummy and good exercise for your jaws.

Next time I'll trust the recipe--
or maybe I'll just make the delicious filling
on top of that wonderful crust and call it a day.

Or top it with real whipped cream, I mean REAL, folks.



 Have any of you ever made a marshmallow meringue?

And had it to succeed? 

6 comments:

  1. "nope!" as answers to your questions.
    once I did make a Mississippi Mud Cake. I recall it had a marshmallow topping. but it was just too rich for me. Bob liked it though.
    your pie looks absolutely delicious!
    I like your idea of using just fresh whipped cream as a topping for it.
    it would be a lovely light touch to all that rich chocolate.
    looking forward to seeing little Bree and Mason on the Window. xo♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never made a Mississippi Mud Cake, Tam, but have eaten some, years ago. Loved it!

      I think anything is better with real whipped cream, sweetened for desserts but I make horseradish sauce for beef with it instead of sour cream.

      Bree and Mason are supposed to be busy writing but if they don't get the job done soon I might have to fire them!

      Delete
  2. Hello Dewena, your chocolate pie looks so delicious, I love chocolate...
    I hope you are getting better, and that you are enjoying the time with your new dogs, it will be exiting to hear about them.
    All the best for you and your family in 2018!

    Ida

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Ida! Chocolate is one of the major food groups, isn't it?

      We are loving having Bree and Mason with us. Best to you in 2018, also!

      Delete
  3. Ha! You and me, both! I, too am acutely paranoid of raw eggs, and that's why I never make the traditional tiramisu, which calls for them in the cream part of that delicious dessert. I have found several other recipes for this heavenly Italian sweet, and they all taste just as good!

    Your Over the Moon Chocolate Pie does look very tempting, indeed. I'm sure it was delicious and your pics are so professional!

    Here's to REAL whipped cream, on just about anything!:))

    xoxo
    Poppy
    P.S. I can't wait to read Bree and Mason's first post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poppy, I used raw eggs in recipes often in the olden/golden days of the 1960s--before your time! So many dessert recipes from then that I don't dare use now. Why were they safe previously and not now? Don't understand that but I remember seeing an episode of an old serial called Sisters that used to be on television where everyone got sick from the eggnog one Christmas--I never again used raw eggs!

      Whipped cream, hurrah! We love it lightly sweetened and fresh blueberries folded in

      Delete