Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thankful for....

I love what Dorothy Draper was thankful for in 1941:

"In this Thanksgiving month...I can think of so many big and little things about which I am happy...

Just to name a few--I'm thankful for my crisp, petunia-red curtains.

I'm thankful for the sunshine streaming through the Venetian blinds

and making a pattern on the white walls.

I'm thankful that dark-red roses were created, so that they may bloom all winter

on the white chintz background of a slipcover.

I'm thankful for laughter--friends--English muffins--

wind in the trees--stars--open fires--health--

and, above all,

that I'm an American woman, free to come and go and work and love as I please."

Dorothy Draper, Director

Good Housekeeping Studio for Living

November 1941


What are you thankful for?


8 comments:

  1. I'm thankful that we met through blogging and I get to enjoy your daily posts! Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Hugs ~ Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so thankful for having met you! Have a blessed Thanksgiving Day!

      Delete
  2. That was a great piece to quote, and the little Thanksgiving person is a great picture to accompany it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary Ann, that little person is our now 31 year old son Defee! Are you having turkey tomorrow? Are those pretty chickens just for eggs? Loving looking at your farm.

      Delete
  3. Such a beautiful piece of writing, I am grateful for the opportunity of living in this great and beautiful land, especially my sweet Tennessee home.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, I'm smiling at the picture of your young son, many years ago :)
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, nothing like a sweet Tennessee home! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours...and that yellow cat of yours that yawns so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Thanksgiving Family! What an amazing time we're having staying here in the valley and our magical attic! We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy our darling daughter finally figured out how to comment on her mom's blog! My 40th member! It is wonderful having you and our dear son-in-law home for a good visit. Sometimes we'll have to put pictures on of your attic bedroom. We love you.

      Mom & Dad

      Delete